Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



16 April 2007

Dormant. Or Resting.

I take a lot of comfort from my background in horticulture when knitting inspiration dries up. Very often, after a plant goes to seed, those newly-ripened seeds won't sprout immediately no matter what you do. They are dormant, waiting for some special set of conditions to end their dormancy.

Sometimes nothing I've been knitting calls to me. I think of those projects as having gone dormant. Sometimes, unlike a seed, they will end up unravelled back into their component yarn. Other times they are waiting for something -- cooler or warmer weather, a long car trip, an inspiring browse through a knitting book. Often I don't know what they're waiting for, I only know it when I stumble across it.

Meanwhile, I re-read Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle, read Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl: the Lost Colony, and checked out Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road.

On the Yahoo double knitting group, we're taking a break at the end of the tubular double-knitting Knit-Along. Soon we'll start a color work double-knitting knit-along, but not this week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

OMG! You have lost colony? I LOVE Artemis Fowl! Is it out in paperback or did you pick it up from the library?

In other news, you aren't missing much, it's mostly depressing as you might have guessed, but it is supposed to be in the upper 60's tomorrow so I'm pretty pleased with the weather today. There's always something to be happy about if you (like me) are determined to find it!

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter