Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 March 2007

Double Knitting Knit-Along Starts Today

Closed tube on the left, open tube on the right, link to Yahoo double knitting group in the left sidebar.

A closed tube can be formed by casting on all the stitches, then following the pattern below, or by casting on half the number of stitches, then knitting one and making one with a backwards loop across the row.

The open tube was started by casting on all the stitches for the tube, sliding half of them onto a double-pointed needle, then picking them up onto one needle, alternating front needle, back needle.

Both of these tubes are knit side out, using the pattern "knit one, yarn to front (between the needle tips), slip one as if to purl, yarn to back, repeat".

The South Haven Center for the Arts exhibits student works from local area schools each year. The elementary students' exhibit started Sunday.

Our son and I went to the opening reception while my husband and friends bottled that huge barrel of mead from last year. (I took the camera, so he didn't get any pictures.)

I love the elementary kids' exhibit. This is just a tiny sampling of the things they created this year. If I have one complaint about their art, it is that they seldom use "archival" materials, and the construction paper often is acidic enough to brown and get brittle with age, not to mention fading. Other than that, they have some really talented and inspiring teachers, and many of these things I would be proud to hang in my house, whether our son made them or not!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter