Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 March 2007

Bookmark for Lace Group Exchange

I finished knitting the pink heart bookmark last night for our *West Michigan Lace Group meeting tonight, but I still need to darn in the thread ends and block it.

I believe I mentioned that the hearts are from Marianne Kinzel's First Book of Modern Lace Knitting, from pages 62 and 92, and the thread was a ball of Coats and Clark's size 70 tatting-crochet thread. I knitted this on US size 0 needles from the Susan Bates "sock set".

The 16/1 linen I knitted with crumples up when I knit it, but becomes obedient and flat when I wet-block it. In contrast, the cotton is a lot springier when wet, so I might have to stiffen it

I haven't starched anything or stiffened it for a long time. I don't like to add starch for fear of "critters" liking it too much and damaging my work, after all that work. Possibly I will dilute some white glue and use that. I won't be repeating last year's sad "scorch it on the woodstove" trick!

Here is the only thing I want to say about Daylight Slaving Time: you can't get more yarn by cutting it off the end of the skein and tying it to the beginning.

The top curve is local sunset time; the middle one is the total daylength; and the bottom curve is local sunrise time. The day length here in SW Michigan bottoms out around 9 hours in midwinter and tops out just over 15 hours in midsummer.

If you want to compute your own local sunrise and sunset times, the US Naval Observatory has various calculators here. Another site I have used, which gives good results if you fill in all the blanks correctly, is here.

(I just checked to make sure these two sites were still there, but if you are reading this and find either link broken, let me know either via a comment or email.)

*The West Michigan Lace Group meets at 7pm on the second Monday of each month. We meet at the Byron Township Library, 8191 Byron Center Ave., Byron Center, Michigan, USA.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter