Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 March 2006

Maybe You Need a Belly Laugh!

I know I got one when I took these socks out of the laundry!

Don't the feet look huge and the cuffs look tiny? Every time I buy shoes, I'm reminded that I have big feet, but goodness, they're not that big, surely!

For some reason, they came out of the wash with the feet flattened from side to side. I'm happy to report that although they look so funny, the re-knitted cuffs fit much better, so I'm not sorry I sent them back to the frog pond.

Knitting is much more forgiving in that way than tatting. If I'm knitting along and see a mistake way back there, one that's not fixable by laddering down to it, I might sulk at unravelling it, but at least the unravelling is easy to do. (Physically, if not mentally.)

If I'm tatting or netting and notice a mistake, oh dear. I usually will unpick the work. But it is a laborious process to unknot all those knots, and to open tatted rings. I had to unknot a couple of rows of the Rainbow Net when I discovered I had somehow skipped a loop. Surely no one would notice? But it was too late -- I had noticed. I unknot one knot at a time, and try not to count how many are left, in case I get too discouraged. With knitting, I can just pull and zi-i-ip! It's undone!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter