Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 April 2006

Little Pleasures

We are having a lovely spring break, now that it has stopped raining and snowing! Yesterday we had a walk, watched a tractor with crawler-treads flatten out the top of the field next to our property, and my son played pretty much all day. Hey, it's a vacation!

I got only a little knitting done on the cuffs of the cotton-candy socks.


In the evening, I went to my fiber arts guild meeting. We are supposed to be working on needle felting, but none of us seemed to have much enthusiasm for it. I had a lot of fun with it a couple of years ago when I first joined the guild and made this dog.
Instead we passed around our Michigan Fiber Festival magazines, talked about Convergence, and looked at a new magazine called "Cloth Paper Scissors".

One of our members had been to Japan and shown us slides of the beautiful manhole covers (no, really!) they have there. For her, I brought my Hamilton Book catalog, which had a book for sale called "Quilting with Manhole Covers: A Treasure Trove of Unique Designs from the Streets of Japan," by Shirley MacGregor. I'll admit that if I hadn't seen her slides, I wouldn't have given the title much more than an incredulous glance. Try Googling for "Japan manhole covers" and see for yourself!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter