Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



24 March 2006

Lost Arts

This morning I went straight from dropping my son off at school to the muffler shop. The tailpipe on my Honda Odyssey had come loose just behind the muffler. I can't stand a loud car, not to mention I was in imminent danger of the whole length of tailpipe coming loose and falling right off.

This led to the following conversation.

I sat in the muffler shop waiting area, working on the brown leaf bookmark. The guy at the counter said, "What is that you're crocheting?" I refrained from stabbing him with my size 1's, and said politely, "I'm knitting, actually, and it's a lace pattern for a bookmark." He said that he crocheted, and I said, "Oh, that's cool!" and silently wondered how it was he couldn't tell knitting needles from a crochet hook.

Then the muffler tech came out of the shop, and asked what I was tatting. I said again that I was knitting, but I did know how to tat, and he said, "That's a lost art, tatting."

Argh. Well, he said his mother, who was from New Zealand, used to tat. If she was still alive, I'd invite her to our lace group meetings.

It's funny the things people say and the way they open up when you carry hand work around with you!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least he didn't say you were crocheting...

a link for you, btw. evidently you can search the articles at U of AZ by category.

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/topic_tatting.html

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter