Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 July 2009

Damned Hettinq, or Not Waiting Around for Perfection

Like a lot of the bloggers I read, I've been going through a non-blogging slump or funk or whatever you call it.

Mine has mostly been from having another person (our son) around all the time. I didn't realize I needed solitude to write a blog post. I used to be one of those people who could write an English paper on the bus. Now I seem to need peace and quiet and my own thoughts without background noise. ("Get off my lawn!")

Another hurdle I've been putting in my own way is avoiding writing the non-perfect blog post, which in my case turns into not writing any blog post at all.

You'd think I'd realize by now that the only way to get through the crap posts is to write them and get them out of the way and over with.

I got a peculiar and amusing (well, to me amusing) reminder about not waiting for perfect when I went searching for a picture of a netting needle.

One of the pictures that came up was on this page:

Feilet Ilace, Or Damned Hettinq from "Every Woman's Encyclopaedia".

Ha! Damned Hetting is the OCR-ed version of Darned Netting. (Feilet Ilace is Fillet Lace.) But if they had waited around to proofread the page, maybe it wouldn't have been posted.

I rummaged through my netting drawer and I think these are all the types of netting needles and shuttles I have.

From left to right:

-a wooden shuttle I got on eBay
-brass netting needle made from welding rod by my brother
-three sizes of netting needles from Lacis
-Norwegian style shuttle from Lacis
-four sizes of plastic netting shuttles from The Mannings

-a handmade wooden shuttle

There! That's enough Damned Hettinq for one day.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

OK, so when I finally come to visit you, one of the things you must do is teach me how to net. That just looks wayyyy cool!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

When I opened this post I was sure hettinq (damned or otherwise) was going to be another obscure form of needlework you had discovered and mastered!!

On not waiting around for perfection - too true. Life's too short. I have felt that pressure too, the longer I leave the blog without a post, the 'better' the comeback post should be, til I give in and just post *anything* in order to break the deadlock.

7:13 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

My dad used to net and did sailor rope knotting things like turkshead.

I'm still sad I never made him teach me and now its too late - see - waiting for the perfect opportunity may mean you miss it altogether!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

Damned Hettinq! TOO funny! You have to love what computers switch things to! Like during the Olympics, the runner Marvin Gay's name was made "PC" by some program to be "Marvin Homosexual" in a paper I saw!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I think the perfect post thing can be very frustrating. I think, like Olivia said, it's better just to post something, anything, to get it over with and then the better post will come. You are always doing something interesting. I am going to go look up some info on those shuttles. They look cool.

9:00 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

I like your blog and I find your posts interesting. Maybe they are perfect to me even if they are not for you. Keep on posting lady, and your perfect post will come some day :-)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

LOL, optical character recognition really does creat some doozies, doesn't it!

One of the reasons I got back into knitting and started my blog in the first place was to work on taming my rampant perfectionism ... I wrote a post about it in 2007, you might be interested :)

7:03 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

See? Some typos are almost worth leaving, just for the amusement value :)

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter