Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



08 July 2009

Christel, Done!

Christel is finally done!

Details, details: Christel is a knitting pattern by Herbert Niebling, found in Kunststricken: Große und kleine Decken, ISBN-13: 978-3897980709, published by BuchVerlag fur die Frau and reprinted in 2004. I bought my copy from Lacis, but I just checked and it looks like they are out.

I used US 00 (1.75 mm) needles for the center, which shows up clearly as the dense center in the blocked photo. Just above the leaves, I switched to US 0 (2.0 mm) needles, and I like how that came out much better. And yes, I am relieved that the dense center didn't make the more open part ruffle up. I've been worrying about that for quite a while.

The vintage thread was 400 yards of Ace perle knitting cotton, about the thickness of size 12 perle cotton. It was slightly discolored (yellowed) on the outside of the ball, but most of that soaked out in clear water.

If I used this weight of thread again, I think I could even go up to a US 1 (2.25 mm) needle.

The finished size is about 20 inches in diameter and weighs 40.8 grams. The pattern called for three rounds of crochet bind-off, but after I finished the first round, I was seeing a lot of cardboard showing through the thread ball, so I cast off.

The remaining thread measures 31 yards. I might have been able to squeeze a second round out of the thread, but I'm not tying it back on now!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Norm Deplume said...

Gorgeous! I wish I had the patience and time for lace. I just cannot ever seem to commit to the concentration required to complete any lace piece, let alone something as intricate as Christel. :-/

8:36 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

A tour de force! Bravo, bravo! Whoop, whoop, whoop! What concentration! What focus! What PATIENCE! I am in awe. You gonna show it in the fair? That's blue ribbon work if I ever saw it.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Lovely lovely lovely!

One day I must do some Herbert Niebling designs.

10:18 AM  
Blogger amy said...

WOW! That is gorgeous. Stunning, even.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

That is beautiful! I've yet to tackle knit lace, but hope to eventually! I know who I can get advice from :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Bravo! Looks lovely. I like the color, good choice.

I use #2 needles to knit size twelve cotton, for doilies. Just sayin'.

2:32 PM  
Blogger @eloh said...

Absolutely beautiful.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Woohoo! It's beautiful.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

That's beautiful.

9:30 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

there is knitted lace and then there is KNITTED LACE and that, my dear Alwen, is KNITTED LACE!!!!!!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

That is just gorgeous. You are one clever lace knitter. Or, as Catsmum might say, ONE CLEVER LACE KNITTER!

4:36 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

it's totally a thing of beauty.

I enlarged the photo and held the laptop up to Sean. He was amazed as I was. Just gorgeous.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

God, Alwen, that is the most beautiful thing. I'm with Roxie, you have to enter it somewhere. What an amazing piece of work.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Stunning. That is absolutely stunning. What a gorgeous piece of work!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Christel looks stunning! You seem to have done your usual stunning job. Glad to see the knitting mojo has returned.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

Wow it is so beautiful! Well done, this is really great work! Lovely color, lovely lace - WOW!!

4:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thisis very pretty! :)

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter