Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 June 2009

Trunk Show at My LYS

I haven't had a LYS, a local yarn store, for very long. Needle in a Haystack just opened in South Haven, Michigan, last summer.

The other day I got an email from the store that said:

Needle In A Haystack Party
Put June 5th on your calendar! Joe Raffino, Vice President of South West Trading Company, is coming through South Haven on his way to The National Needlework Association trade fair. He is bringing his 50 item trunk show to Needle in a Haystack and we are throwing a party! June 5th - 5pm to 8pm at Needle in a Haystack.
Oh! That sounded like fun!

South West Trading Company offers yarns like Pure soysilk and Bamboo yarn, and patterns like the Mariposa shawl (if you are on Ravelry, Mariposa) and the Karoke Mitered Jacket (Ravelry link).

Mariposa interested me because it is all lacy prettiness on the back:
And see how it goes together in the front?
There's a section of double knitting in one end that makes an opening to pass the other end through. No button or shawl pin required! Pretty slick!

Joe brought some cute baby and kid things like this pink and white baby dress. I think it was knitted out of the AMAIZing corn yarn, but I'm not finding it right now. AMAIZing is pretty heavy in weight, but cool to the touch. I thought it would make a great knitted thermal blanket, like the cotton thermal blankets we had when I was a kid: heavy-feeling, but not hot. (Yes, I am one of those people who likes to feel a little weight on me when I'm trying to sleep.)

We got a look at the Mitered Jacket (links above) in two different color combinations.

And this turquoise sweater, which is another I can't find. That looks a lot like the dragon skin pattern on the body.

I got to try on China Doll (Ravelry link), which was a really cute little knit, and the splits at the bottom meant it didn't have to stretch over my waist pack!

I think my favorite of the night was the Peacock Vest (The Peacock's Best Vest). It is just as dramatic in real life as it looks in the photos.

If you are visiting South Haven and want the address to look up maps, it's 319 Center St. Stop in and say hi!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I've never been to a trunk show before. It sounds like so much fun!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

You made it! I'm so glad you could go, and I love getting to share the experience vicariously -- it looks like it was tons of fun. Did you walk away with any yarn? Or was it not that kind of thing...?

5:36 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh cool - so glad you went!! Must be great to see so many of the yarns knit up, and see what you can do with them!

Love that Mariposa shawl, that is way cool.

7:14 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Wish I could visit, sadly it is a bit too far for an eventing trip :-) Looks so great!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I like a blanket on me during the night, too. I had a great cotton blanket when I was a kid. It's almost like the ones they use in the hospital.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Excellent! My god, the Peacock Vest is STUNNING.

So glad you had some nearly-LYS Party Fun!

4:49 AM  
Blogger  Lona said...

We did just that, yesterday, on a meandering day "off" that is unusual for farmers. We entered the store unsure what we would find, and had a lovely 45 minute chat while dh closed toes on socks.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter