Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 April 2009

Ajax, the Golden Dog

Look what I found!When I was a kid, my mom bought a set of Collier's encyclopedia that came with a ten-volume set of kids' books, Collier's Junior Classics.

The encyclopedia had great stuff like a dissected frog printed on clear plastic, so you could turn the pages and see the different organs.

Each of the kids' books had a theme - "Ajax, the Golden Dog" is the first story in Volume 4, "Just Around the Corner," with excerpts from books focussed on different countries.

My brothers and I read and re-read the stories in these books, and my mother still has them on her shelves.

When I saw this set in a thrift store the other day, I snapped them up! For ten dollars!

My real-life Ajax, named after my memory of this story, says, "What? Why did you call my name and wake me up?"

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Great score!

Your poor put-upon Ajax...

2:53 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Don't you love when you come across books you remember from childhood?!

9:08 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a treasure! The books AND the bowser!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I loved the encyclopedias we had as a kid. We also had Literary Classics which had been my dad's. I have most of them now and my kids loved the ones about the gods and goddesses.

12:43 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

beautiful Ajax pic - he probably thinks the story pooch is named after HIM not the other way round :]

4:47 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Is that "Australia" I spot at the start of the story? If so, amazing! Have never heard of this story. But great find - I love finding childhood books again as an adult.

And look at your Ajax - think we should see more of him!

8:27 AM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Hello Ajax!

remarkable knitting - gives me a headache just trying to keep track of all those!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, I love finding things like that! I especially love getting to share them with the girls... (also, btw, the lace is looking fabulous)

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter