Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 April 2009

Christellization, Precipitation

If my habit of knitting on multiple dpns makes you queasy, you'll probably want to skip today's post.

I'm adding more needles to space the stitches out, two pattern repeats spread out over three dpns, for a total of twelve needles. In the photo, I had gotten through the first six repeats and had yet to knit the last two.

For the record, I do have and use circular knitting needles, mainly when I knit with sizes larger than this (US 0, 2.0 mm).
I have knitted with multiple dpns in sizes as large as US 8 (5.0 mm). No, I don't have a problem with the needles sliding out. But by US 8, the weight starts to bother my wrists.

Weight is not much of a problem with 2.0 mm needles. Needles and all, including the one I knit with, this is only up to 33 grams.

Although I don't feel any burning desire to convert the dpn-averse to dpn usage, here are some of the reasons I like using multiple double-points:

  • It's easier for me to control the stitches. The stitches on one needle are snugged up under my hand, and I'm not stopping to herd more stitches on or off the business end of a circ.

  • Each dpn gives me a natural stopping point when I have to jump up and do something else.

  • I don't need stitch markers for the ends of pattern repeats - I usually just keep one per needle.

  • I don't need multiple lengths of circular needles. I just add more dpns as I want them.

  • They act as "strivers" - in bobbin lacemaking, a striver pin is a special pin that you put in, and then you strive to work a certain length of the lace beyond it. If I'm getting a bit tired of the pattern, I can say, "I'll just work four more needles."

  • Paradoxically, more dpns seems to lead to less laddering at the needle junctions.


I'm out to Round 63 of 105, with 368 stitches in this round. I'm getting into the outer rounds where there is a lot more repetitive ground, easier to memorize and thus a little faster to knit without looking at the chart.

Precipitation-wise, we lucked out on the latest snowstorm. Most of it went to the east and south of us this time. I think I had my share of snow this winter - I was actually glad not to get more!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Not queasy. I just think it makes your knitting look dangerous. Like a porcupine. :) Extreme knitting!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I love looking at your projects on multiple DPNs, and I can see myself using the technique as well. As ever, your lace simply takes my breath away.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

"Extreme Knitting" lol, that's exactly what it is! I have to admit, even to my (very) untrained eye, the one with more needles looks less bunchy. That's a technical term, right? Bunchy? ;-)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am a fan of the dpn over the circular when possible. Just feels better to me. That piece is beautiful.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Wow, that looks amazing as well as gorgeous! I'm very impressed by your mega-DPN use, and can see that your reasons make good sense!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

All of your dpn reasons make perfect sense - and the more needles the fewer ladders thing is right (they say the same for socks too, although I don't think I'll ever use 12 dpns for socks!)

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter