Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



28 March 2009

Christel-izing

A year ago, I first heard about a German lace knitting designer named Herbert Niebling and started trying to get hold of legal copies of his patterns.

This ugly-duckling octagon is a doily pattern called "Christel", from a collection of his designs calle Kunststricken Große und kleine Decken, available from Lacis.

I know - I meant to re-knit Leberblümchen, but I got sidetracked.

The thread is one of the vintage balls I showed last year, hanging in a net. 400 yards of ACE perle knitting cotton in grubby pale blue (grubby plainly visible under the Ott light).

I started this on four needles, but I don't like how some sections get squished when I knit an eight-section doily on four.

So I knit most of the dragon skin bag off of my 00 knitting needles and onto my 00 circular.

Poor dragon-skin! Every time I touch it, it seems like something happens: a dog munches it, my husband gets asked to deploy.

I'm starting to feel like I should have an exorcism or something for it.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Woot! More Niebling. You must stop now, though, or I will get sidetracked into another and I do NOT have the time for a 120 round doily on quad zero needles.

No. Really.

It's looking good. Can't wait to watch it emerge.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Poor dragon-skin, indeed! Oh, don't put it through an exorcism (so medieval) - it probably just needs some good counselling?

12:21 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

what I think I love most about this post is that you not only have that many 00 dpns, but at least one 00 circular as well!! Love it!

12:49 AM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

Beautiful doilies! And poor Leberblumchen, hope it will be finished sometime lol:. This is knitting art, wow, I am impressed!

4:43 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

You dainty lace knitters are a breed apart! And you obviously need more of those insanely small needles.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

I think you and Julie should have a Niebling-Off!

5:11 AM  
Blogger KCB said...

As someone who thinks sock-weight yarn is tiny, I am in awe of your lace-knitting prowess!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

I'll pick you up a smudge stick, k? We'll say some mumbo jumbo while we burn the purifying sage and all will be well with the world!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, that new Neibling looks great -- I can't wait to see it blocked out. As for the dragon-skin, maybe smudging it with sage? Either that or go with the counselling option. So long as its head isn't spinning around, it probably doesn't need a full-fledge exorcism...

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter