Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



18 February 2009

Rainbow Redux

Once upon a time, my son gave me some rainbow yarn for Christmas, and I knitted him some mittens.

He's grown out of them, and I was never 100% happy with the ribbing. Then the other day, he was wearing my mittens.

So I got this bright idea: why didn't I just frog back past the thumbs, knit them a bit longer, and make mittens that would fit me and be just a bit big on him?

Like a lot of my bright ideas, this turned out to be much easier to think up than to do in actual real-life knitting.

The biggest snag was that my hands are a lot wider across the palm than around the fingers, so I had to increase to make them fit. I didn't want to frog all the way back to the mitten tip, but the three different increases I tried below that point all looked ugly.

I finally ended up frogging them clear back to the fingertips and increasing back there.

The next snag I'm facing is that I have two little mitten thumbs, all pre-knitted, and with a little effort I can knit them longer. I already know (because I tried this, in one of the frogged increase incarnations) that I can join them on to the mitten body, using a three-needle bind-off on half of the stitches.

But will I be happy with the edges of that join? Gah! I have a feeling there will be a lot more knitting and frogging on this little project in my future!

This time around, I'm using shiny little KnitPicks 2.5mm needles in the finger section, and planning to switch to 2.75mm needles below there. No snow will be coming through these mittens!

And speaking of no snow, what we have at the moment is gray and rainy. It's supposed to get colder in the afternoon, change from rain to snow, and get windy. We'll see!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

What a thrifty and clever knitter you are! And you'll have awesome mittens when you're done, not to mention a whole bunch more information on what it takes to make a mitten perfectly!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

I have a tip down mitten pattern that joins the thumb and decreases towards the wrist: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tip-down-mittens-with-gusset

I'm sure the idea would work for you.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love those colors -- so cheery and bright. I also love the reuse of the yarn; maybe if worse comes to worst, you could just frog them completely and start over?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

some of the best ideas are trickier than they seem at first I think. Looking forward to seeing the finished product because I think rainbow mittens sound very cute!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter