Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



26 January 2009

A Break in the Weather

To our great relief, we finally got a break in the "All Snow All the Time" weather we've been having since the beginning of January. Finally the juncoes and white-crowned sparrows were able to eat seed that was not instantly buried in the snow.The scraggly rose tangle that I spare mainly as shelter for the birds has turned into a snow-cave. At first light, birds come flying out of the middle of it.

Every fall, I think, I should prune this messy thing down to the ground in the spring - it's half-dead, anyway and every winter the birds flock to it and I spare it again.

The goldfinches are still in their dusky olive winter feathers. I'll be waiting for the very first bright yellow one!

We've lived here 18 years now. We moved in over the weekend of 26 January 1991, and promptly had our first blizzard.

It's been a lot of shovelling over the years, and my husband finally bought a snowblower. It was delivered Friday. After I put it together, he went out and tried it, and in about 8 minutes moved as much snow as the two of us could have shovelled out in two hours.

Given that we're 18 years older than we were in 1991, and the snow doesn't seem to be getting any lighter, I think we will get our money's worth out of a snowblower. And if it turns out to be the kind of weather voodoo that these things sometimes do, and we barely get any more snow for the rest of this winter -- I think he would still consider it money well spent.

The other part of my weekend was actually knitting-related. I drove up to Threadbear in Lansing again for a book-signing by Panopticon blogger Franklin Habit.

To someone like me, who sometimes calls her own brothers by the wrong names, I have to tell you, the man is amazing. He photographed 1000 knitters, he meets hundreds of people at book signings and classes, and he placed me in all of about ten seconds. Wow.

And he has beautiful handwriting.

I tried to resist all the beautiful yarns at Threadbear after Franklin signed my copy, so I went for a book first. But then there were so many squishable soft yarns to pet . . . I did come home with one ball of Regia, and a skein of Malabrigo lace baby merino in the "Purple Mystery" color.

Thanks to Ravelry, I learned that the Malabrigo lace was sometimes a bit felted in the skein, but I had only a little trouble winding it into a ball off my swift. I won't be trying to use this ball from the center, but I want to knit this into something right now. It was so soft, I untwisted the skein so I could pet it on the drive home.

This year, the drive home was much better than last year!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It sounds like a perfect day! I love the color of that malabrigo (malabrigo is good). And the snowblower sounds like an excellent purchase; even if you don't use it this year, it seems to me that there will be plenty of future opportunities :)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

I'm a bit behind in reading so I'm just catching up. So glad you are having a break in the snow. I think you are very kind to leave the scraggly rose up for the birds. I had NO IDEA that some birds changed colour in the winter. Fascinating!

And Mr Habit remembered you? Out of all the knitters? That's gorgeous.

I found my malabrigo laceweight actually felted a bit while knitting it. The centre part of my pi shawl is a bit felted! But I don't mind. It's lovely anyway.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Kathleen C. said...

I'm in the middle of an Anne Hanson pattern with a dark green Malabrigo lace weight... and I LOVE it! Mine isn't felting (but then I don't get to work on it much) and the feel is so lovely...

1:51 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

One of the advantages of living in the country is that we can let unattractive thing grow for the birds and wildlife. The older I get, the more I let it grow.

Hope your new snow blower works the voodoo magic for all of us. It got above freezing or a whole hour here Friday. There wasn't time for anything to start dripping before the temps starting falling again.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Sounds like the snowblower is one of those "must-have" items - it actually is a labour saving device!

Oh, you met Franklin again! You are so lucky!! And that Malabrigo laceweight - it is so divine. I'm yet to have some of my own, but I've petted it a lot from other people's stash! Lovely!

4:32 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Halleluiah for the snowblower! Can I get an AMEN sisters and brothers? Ayyyymen!!

The yarn looks so lovely. I'll have to find some Malabrigo for a stroking session.

You got to actually meet Franklin Habit. I'm so jealous. It sounds like a splendid day!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I can't wait to see the 1000 knitters book. We enjoyed meeting him. What a charmer. I have a copy of It Itches and I love it but it's not autographed. I wonder if I could send it to him and ask him pretty please? I'll bet he'd do it.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter