Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



08 January 2009

Photographic Proof

Not only do I still knit once in a while, I found the other cushion of my loveseat!

Very often the left cushion gets buried in archaeological strata of knitting projects, library books, graph paper and other miscellanea that collect as I work on things and put them down "for now" on top of the last project I put down.

But once in a while I do evict all the stuff, wash the blanket on the cushions, and vacuum under them.

Last night I was putting together a post in my head called "Lake-Affected". It was going to be about how I was at home with a kid on a snow day. Bu-u-ut when I got up early this morning to check the school closing lists, not a school in the county was closed or even delayed.

So I got the child up and dressed and fed, made his lunch, and when I went outside to brush off my car, it was pouring with snow!

First I shoveled a path to the car, then I brushed the car off. Or tried! I went all around the car brushing off the windows so I did my windshield last. By the time I sat down in the driver's seat and closed the door, snow had re-covered the windshield.

I made it down the driveway and onto the snow-covered road. Visibility was pretty close to zero, and the snow was snowing down heavily. I said to the child, "This is nuts!" and turned around at the intersection. I did not feel safe driving in so much snow when I couldn't see.

I called up the school - which was indeed open - and told them our son would be late. Then we had coffee (my husband is taking a leave day off) and waited for daylight and for the heavy snowfall to let up. In the hour between my attempt to leave and going out to deal with the snow, we got another good two inches in the bare spot left by my car.

We shovelled the driveway and took the child to school. The snowband moved inland.

I filled the birdfeeders and took snowy pictures.

Now I'm ready for some lunch!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I can't imagine snow like that. By the time those systems get here, they're rain. It seems silly that they would expect you to drive in snow when you can't see.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Your lounge sounds exactly like mine!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I have archeological strata beside my chair. Good heavens, the things I find in there sometimes!

6:55 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

archeological strata...my hubby "encouraged" the kids to clean their room today, and we definitely got to see some A.S. in their rooms. Of course, they learned it from me...

9:46 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

It sure sounds like you had a full day before lunch!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

ha ha - the lounge does tend to become an archeological site doesn't it, of all the work we do! Mine really needs doing.

I can't imagine trying to get out of the house under such conditions!

3:45 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

You are a wise combination of intrepid and practical. I had no idea that lake effects were so localized.

I made a 9x 12 pouch that hangs from the arm of the sofa on my side. When the pouch is full, it's time to excavate. Things left on the sofa itself get slept on by cats who often embellish with hairballs.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow! That's a ton of snow! What's even more amazing is that the schools were open and expecting kids...

1:27 PM  
Blogger KCB said...

Having snow envy...

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter