Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 January 2009

Changing Views

This is the road I take our son to school on, photographed Saturday.

This is the same road in a photo taken last February.

One full week after two inches of rain melted about four feet of snow, the road still has ice on the edges from the melted snow plus rain. All that water also flooded our well pit and got into our basement, so the portable sump pump my husband bought during September's 9 inches of rain got used again.

In the 18 years we've lived here, we have never had water in the well pit, other than inside the water tank and pressure tank, before.


These before and after shots were taken on 27 December 2008 and 3 January 2009, a week apart. That's fog, not snow, in the December pictures. It hit 58 degrees F (14 C) the day I took these pictures.

My husband and our son are back to work and school for the first time since the last snow day on 19 December.

School was closed that Friday, and the kids missed their end-of-school party. But since they had no school and were starting two weeks of winter vacation, they couldn't be too sad.

I couldn't fit all of my pressies into this photo. My mom gave me a floor-lamp style Ott-lite, which is standing behind my knitting spot. Some of the chocolate has, um, disappeared. And the birds are thoroughly enjoying the birdseed.

The last photo sums up our New Year's eve. We get a new jigsaw puzzle and put it together over New Year's eve and New Year's day. Our son put together and played with his new Bionicle set, and we had party food and ridiculous drinks like this A&W rootbeer float, which is just as sweet as you might expect.

This year's puzzle was "Circle of Friends," by Jody Bergsma. Our son picked it out, and it scored high on my puzzle scale: not too easy, with fully interlocking pieces. It was tough enough that it took us three days to finish it off, but not so hard that we felt like giving up.

How was your New Year's?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Happy New Year! I like your presents. :) Is that a printout of the 1000 Knitters' Project? Where'd you get that? Is it because you're one of them or has Franklin released something? (Gosh, I'm full of questions, aren't I!)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

My New Years celebration was so mellow as to be nearly coma-inducing... just the way I like 'em!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Nice lot of gifts! I love that you did a jigsaw over new years - what a great idea! I haven't done a jigsaw since...I started knitting again!!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

Happy New Year! You did very well on the pressie front there. We had a really quiet and fun NYE - bbq, scrabble, wine, sparklers with friends. It was lovely!

9:11 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

I do a NY Eve jigsaw too! When I can stay awake that is. It feels rather metaphorical. Life is like a jigsaw puzzle. A 4 million piece puzzle. And you don't get to start out with all your own pieces. When you're a teen, you throw out a lot of the pieces your parents gave you (You'll pick up some of them later) and take in a bunch of pieces from other people. Sometimes your puzzle links up with someone else's puzzle. As long as you keep putting in one more piece, you're still alive. I love that the NY Eve puzzle has borders, every piece belongs somewhere, and with persistence, every piece can go where it belongs. It gives me hope for the puzzle of my life.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Every once in a while we pull out a puzzle and take over the dining room table for a few days. Everyone tries their hand at parts. Each person is good at different parts (I am a good edge person).

9:55 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Happy new year! It sounds like you had a great celebration. And those are some great holiday gifts :) We just had a quiet new year here, which was perfect, and now everyone's back and work and school...

2:54 PM  
Blogger KCB said...

Happy new year!

We "blobbed" around the house and just relaxed with no agenda whatsoever. It was sublime.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

That's a fabulous looking puzzle!!

And that snow....I could just crawl into the screen and bath in it I'm so hot right now!

I love NWT. It's a fabulous book - but I have spent part of today hunting for it. I simply can't find it!

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter