Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



25 November 2008

And There is Knitting

Here is my Duchrow-centered lap blanket in all of its orange-y glory.

I'm not generally an orange person. If I had to name this colorway, it would be something like "If the maple trees can do it, I can, too!"

I damp-blocked it fairly gently, and between blocking and the seed stitch border, the corners now lay nice and flat.
I had a hard time getting a good picture. It's as dark and gray out as this! (The weather warmed up, turned the snow slushy, and now it's raining and drizzling).

I'm happier with the squaring of the circle than my pointy-headed hearts, but I'm not so unhappy with the hearts that I would frog them.

And in a completely grasshopper-minded topic lurch, guess what, fellow Agatha Clay, Girl Genius fans! Our son is building clanks:



And sharing the spotlight, his father made placki (potato pancakes) and bigos (hunter's stew) for supper last night, and I am eating leftovers:



The bigos is based on one of the recipes in Polish Heritage Cookery, by Robert and Maria Strybel. I gave this cookbook to my husband as a present one year, and I have definitely reaped the rewards in tasty eating!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I bought a Polish cookbook when I was in college because my boyfriend (who became my husband) had a mother whose last name was Orzechowski. I learned to like pierogies but can't stand kielbasa. I can make a babka with the best of them and we make chryschiki and butter horns for Christmas. The pancakes look good and the stew is making my stomach growl. half an hour till lunch!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kathleen C. said...

Oh dear... I hope he doesn't turn out to be a spark. They seem to be so much trouble! At least, the mad ones do... and the other kind seem few and far between.
I love GG!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I love the circle in a square - so cool!

And yum! Potato pancakes and hunter's stew looks and sounds fantastic. Guess I'd better go and make my breakfast to stop my stomach from rumbling!

(hee hee - word verification - catshat!)

3:47 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

What kind of animal(s) goes into hunter's stew? All the hunters I know eat whatchagot stew. It gets to be dinner time, someone says, "What'll we eat?" Someone else says, "Idunno. Whatchagot?" Then they pool their supplies, cook it all together in one pot and dish out God knows what. Which, in the dark, with the ashes from the fire and a few singed moths for seasonings, and when you're starving to death, tastes so good that there are rarely leftovers.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Mmm...Those leftovers look yummy! And the blanket is gorgeous; the colors alone should keep you warm and cozy :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

By the way, those aren't pointy-headed hearts. They're tulips. Not a mistake, a design element.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

Alwen it's gorgeous. Well done!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter