Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



11 November 2008

Gray November

The sunny-and-seventy weather we had last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday finally gave way to what I think of as normal November weather here: gray November, leaves mostly down except for the stubborn oaks and beech trees, and a lowering gray sky.

And of course, this stuff. Snow!

This is the lichen called "British soldiers," Cladonia cristatella, breaking down the top of an old picnic table.

The very last red bramble leaves.

The reason autumn olive is so invasive. They produced their berries like crazy this year, all around my local area. I can spot them at quite a distance, they are just so loaded with reddish berries. Fruit-eating birds help spread them.

I tried making jelly out of them, because they are supposed to contain as much lycopene as tomatoes, but I couldn't stomach it - it tasted like tomatoes, and I'm not that fond of savory jellies. I hope the boiled seeds don't sprout, because I dumped them in my compost bin!

We don't always have white, store-bought eggs and brown eggs from our friends' chickens in the house at the same time.

Today I realized that we did, so I thought I'd take some nice contrast-y photos.

I wasn't sure the camera would catch the difference in the yellow of the yolks, but on my monitor it is showing up nicely.

And look! A knitting-related picture!

I ordered BV36, KUNST STRICKEN, Grosse und Kleine Decken, and BV40 KUNSTSTRICKEN-SCHONE HISTORISCHE MUSTER, Buchverlag fur die Frau from Lacis via mail a couple of weeks ago, and got them just before I left for work last night. I guess I have something perfect for the Long Lacy Summer (Southern hemisphere summer) to do during the long dark evenings.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Snow! We've had none of that yet, thankfully. And the sun is out today, although it is cold. But we had a stretch of grey, rainy weather last week. We really are moving towards winter.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Oh, I covet your books!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ah! You have the folios! Welcome to the madness. I assume you're doing all right deciphering, or should I produce keys in English?

3:10 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Mmmm, lace books. So tempting!

Love the eggs and yolks. My mum used to put cayenne pepper in the chook food - she reckoned it made the yolks even yellower!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Ever since I found out that Lacis is selling the books, I've been coveting them. My son is moving back to SF soon so maybe I can convince him to get them for me!

6:14 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

If they feed marigolds to the chickens, it makes the egg yolks and the fat yellow. West coast chicken is much whiter than East coast chicken because of that.

Great seasonal photos!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Those are some complicated looking lace doilies but soooo pretty. They'll keep you busy when it's too cold and nasty to go outside.

The egg contrast is interesting. The brown egg is much more appetizing looking.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I know this is such an unhelpful thing to say, but I wish we had that kind of weather here! It was in the high eighties today, and dry dry. And tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 90s! And the heat was on at work because it was colder earlier in the week. Sigh... I love your egg photo -- it reminds me of why we buy our eggs at the farmer's market; I'd forgotten store-bought yolks are that pale color. Weird.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

More round things. I am jealous.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter