Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 November 2008

As Long as I'm on About Birds

This morning I went along with my husband when he ran some errands. On the way back I spotted a flock of crows harassing a large, light-headed bird in a tree. I had brought my camera along, so:


It was a long way away and I was shooting into the low-angle November sun. I zoomed in as much as I could, then used my photo editor to crop the shot.

But it looks like a bald eagle, Haliaeetus leucocephalus, to me!

Other birds I saw but didn't manage to photograph on this morning's little jaunt were three sandhill cranes and a flock of wild turkeys.

If I could only get one picture . . .

Edited to add this map of where the eagle was. (Click for larger version.)

We were following the curve of the road around, and I took the picture aiming south. There is a gravel pit that has filled with water just northeast of the intersection, and a creek southwest of it. I spotted the crows and the eagle as we drove north, and my husband stopped after he went around the curve so I could try to get a picture.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I remember seeing my first in-the-wild bald eagle in the UP at the place we go to stay with my SIL sometimes, and I was just floored. To be honest, I still am every time I see one there! (There's a pair who nest on the lake, and there are eaglets every time we go.) Great picture!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I am so jealous. What kind of area was it in? By a river or lake? Do you think it might fly over by my house?

12:11 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

I'm with Ben Franklin. The wild turkey ought to be our national bird. "Tha iggle" is a bully, a thief, and not a good survivor. They do look noble, though.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It feels somewhat magical to see one in the wild, isn't it? There is a nesting pair in our area and we catch a glimpse every once in a while. We have a lot of turkey vultures and red tailed hawks (they're keeping down the rabbit population) but seeing the eagles is such a treat.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter