Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 November 2008

This is My Country

Although it's a lot less monolithic than some of the news media on either side might have you believe. (Overall state results at the top, county-by-county results at the bottom. Map source, the New York Times. It's interesting to move the little slider over on the left and see which counties did and didn't change.)

There has been more knitting, although it got a lot less lacy. It's going to end up being a woolly lap blanket, so the lack of laciness is fine. I am just finishing a couple of plain rounds and psyching myself up for my weird vision of squaring the circle. I have to decide about dyeing the last skein of this yarn. I'm pretty sure I don't want to leave it plain Dijon mustard, but haven't picked out a new color for it yet.

I meant to take this photo of the blueberry fields yesterday on our way to the polls, but I forgot to bring the camera. Fortunately today's weather is just as spookily beautiful as yesterday's, when it hit 71 degrees F (22 C)! In November!

After we voted, we went to pick up the countertop we ordered for the cabinet where the new gas soapstone stove will stand. (It's from Woodstock Soapstone Stoves, the mini cottage stove.) When we did, I bought a new birdfeeder.

When we moved here, we had the rare and strange good luck to live in a patch of land with no squirrels. For a bird watcher with a feeder, it was great. Naturally, this couldn't last, and about 8 years ago squirrels found and started to colonize our little spot. I guess there are finally enough acorns on the maturing young oak trees and enough maple seeds to sustain them.

What this means, of course, is that my old hand-me-down hopper feeder is now regularly occupied by a fox squirrel, Sciurus niger, happily stuffing its face with the black oil sunflower seeds I usually offer and gnawing the suet out of the suet feeder.

Although I don't believe it's possible to completely stop a determined squirrel from getting into a feeder*, at least it should be entertaining to watch them attempting to figure this one out.

*What else have they got to do? And anything that doesn't stop them just makes them smarter!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger  Lona said...

Love the blueberry photos. I live in the heart of blueberry country, too, and it's so beautiful!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I removed my first comment because apparently I can't spell!

What I meant to say... I am so amazingly pleased and proud. First I cried, and after that I smiled and smiled and smiled...

Thank you for the link to Nigella's cake, I shall bake one the next time I have the slightest excuse!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Gorgeous photos, gorgeous blanket, gorgeous map ;)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Oh the blueberry photo is fabulous.

I'm watching and waiting to see what your kooky method of finishing is. It's going to look beautiful.

6:15 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

I thought that was a thistle seed feeder. How do the birds get sunflower seeds out of that? If the birds can get it, squirrels will use those clever little fingers of theirs to pry the seeds out too. It'll be a treat to watch them figure it out!

The blankie is gorgeous!

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter