Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 October 2008

But Can You Knit in a Tarsier?

I don't think so: too small. Too dark in there.

I don't think I would want to knit a tarsier, either. Too goblin-like.

I don't know if I can knit intarsia, that being one of very many knitting techniques I haven't tried yet.

So why am I thinking about this and making bad puns?
It's Mary Thomas's fault. Ever since I read about Festive Knitting (page 111 and fig. 119 of Mary Thomas's Knitting Book), it's been burbling away in the back of my brain as something I had to try in double knitting.

Every so often, I would re-read that section and think I sort of had it, but I was never 100% sure I understood how the colored yarn got back in place, or if I could make it work in double knitting.

Finally the only thing to do was cast on and see if I what I thought I had figured out would actually work in Reality Land.

It works!

The swatch is a little messy, but the technique works!

The purple needles are one size smaller than the red (ouch, clashy clashy, sorry) ones. I could have made the inside layer purled. I just started to neaten up the ends where the color returns to the start of the row.

It's so cool.

(But I still can't knit a tarsier.)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, very cool! Of course, I can't wrap my brain around double knitting, so I'm doubly impressed by your ability to translate anything into that technique!

3:06 PM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

You could knit in the Tardis. It's much bigger inside than it appears on the outside.

disclaimer: I'm not a Dr. Who fan, but I've been married to one for 35 years. He infected my kids, too.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, that makes my brain hurt. ;-)

I've read that bit you're talking about, Mary Thomas on "festive knitting". And seen Meg Swansen do a small bit in her Knitting Gossary DVD (most highly recommended BTW). But in DK -- never!

So, you're slipping some and working some parts backwards?

6:11 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Intarsia's a piece of cake. It's double knitting that's hard. Once you have that down, you can do anything! You boggle my mind!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I've done the intarsia but not the double knitting. You're taking a medium difficult thing and ratcheting up the challenge!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

You have to carry the extra color(s) between the layers, no? I haven't tried it yet, but I might one of these days. (Says she who still has not finished the simple reversible dk hat.)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter