Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



09 October 2008

Marvellous Things

Howard Carter's famous words, when he first looked into Tutankhamen's tomb and was asked if he could see anything, are supposed to have been, "Yes, wonderful things." In his diary, he wrote "marvellous things".

Very often on the internet, I feel like I am looking through a small hole into a chamber full of things just as marvelous.

One of the many blogs I try to keep up with is the Medieval Material culture blog, a compendium of book reviews, news of museum exhibitions, and archaeological finds related to medieval culture.

The latest marvelous thing to come up there is the news that medieval manuscripts from the Abbey Library of St. Gallen, the oldest library in Switzerland, are being digitized and put online.

(This is Codex Sang. 339, page 33, Stiftsbibliothek St. Gallen / Codices Electronici Sangallenses.)

And I thought Google Books was good - I might have to lay down and fan myself.

You can look at the pages. At the binding (front and back covers, spine, fore edge, and front and back paste-downs). If you have any interest in calligraphy, illumination, or early bookbinding, it's an amazing site.

Not to be outdone, the natural world is turning marvelous colors, preparatory to turning black, white and gray for several months. It's time to soak in the colors of fall, because soon they will be gone.

Over the last couple of days, we got about another inch of rainfall, but today it is beautiful and sunny, if a little on the cool side (60 F, 16 C). I hope to get outside and get some pictures, after a dentist appointment which I need to log off and leave for!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm trying to get outside to enjoy the fall weather and colors because you're right. All too soon, it will be dreary and too cold. And I'm off to the dentist myself in a few days. Yay.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

AAAAH! Wonderful things!

You do know, I was big into calligraphy before I broke my hand. And am just now facing up to the fact I'll never do it again, and perhaps I should KNIT SOME.

I need to go lay down in a proper swoon, too.

And I thought Google Books was good.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Oh, be still my heart!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, wow. What an amazing resource -- I adore illuminated manuscripts (ask my daughters, whom I have now dragged two hours each way not once but twice to see the exhibit of them at the Getty). Wonderful things, indeed!

3:09 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Your blog is one of the marvelous things I enjoy peeking into.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is, for sure, a world full of wonderful things. I was once upon a long-ago marriage, briefly in upstate Michigan, visiting my husband's family on Crystal lake, near a tiny village called Beulah ( love that name). So, I think Ihave a tourist's idea of how beautifully rural the landscape around you is.

Seems to me that living somewhere where there is the possibility of growing your own food may, in our current world of financial weirdness ( over here in the UK, we've had one heck of a week) be A Very Good Thing. I loved the cherries from Michigan's Cherry Hut, and swam in Crystal Lake, and played with my children in Sleeping Bear Dunes...

And thankyou for visiting my blog. I *heart* yours too, but being technically clueless, I have no idea how to return the compliment. Warmest greetings anyway from far away Scotland.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter