Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 September 2008

I Did Not Knit This Doily

I bought it at an antique store for four dollars. While I was happy to pay so little, at the same time it emphasizes how undervalued lace knitting is.

A quilt, especially an antique, might be up for hundreds or thousands of dollars, and it wasn't that long ago that you'd find quilts in estate sales. Gradually the work and the fascination of making them raised the value of the quilt as an art form. I'm ready for knitted lace to reach that level, even if it would raise the price out of my reach.

I don't believe this particular doily is "antique" (more than 100 years old) anyway. Even "vintage" might be pushing it. To me, it feels relatively new. It probably landed in the antique store booth because (argh) "Nobody does that kind of work any more. It's a (ARGH!) lost art."

If the "lost art" part was true, rarity should make lace more valuable.

Let's move on to something that doesn't make me so mad.

I Knitted These Socks

My husband looked at this sock heel and said, "That just looks wrong."

That didn't make me mad, it made me laugh.

The rose heather yarn on the heel shows exactly where I steal stitches from the instep to make the heel deeper. Then I knitted the first row of ribbing increasing on the front, decreasing on the back, so the cuff angles forward. It does look wrong.

But looks aren't everything - it fits the sticky-outy part of my heel perfectly. In fact, it fits so nicely I might have to make this a permanent part of my personal sock formula.

The shaded yarn on the cuff is, yes, [delicate shudder] acrylic. Red Heart, um, Collage, I think, in Landscape Green. Landscape Green is a sort of green pea soup color, plied with a second strand that shades through gray to cream to rose. I didn't think the two-ply would stand up to being a sock foot, so it's only on the top of the foot and the cuff.

Yes, I know it's plastic. So let's move on to the new yarn store that's fairly close to me, Needle in a Haystack down in South Haven.

It's a small store and a new store. The selection is somewhat limited. But they have sock yarn! And of course, for someone who wants to smoosh yarn, the internet is no substitute for a yarn store.

So maybe I should end this post with:

I Bought This Yarn

A couple of skeins of Cascade Heritage, colors 5608 and 5614, 75% superwash merino and 25% nylon (plastic!).

The superwash merino makes this yarn so soft, I was petting it all the way home.

And now I find myself thinking about gloves. This is a nice thin yarn, so I could make glove fingers that didn't stand up by themselves. It's thin enough, there could even be some double-knitting going on . . . hmmmmm.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

It was made through "women's work." If it were carved or forged, it would have been expensive. That makes me puke.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

As you know, I'm having a bit of a lace epiphany, so of course I think that lace should be highly valued! Good score, though!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a find, antique or not. It's pretty. I have a fondness for looking at old textiles and am sometimes surprised at the prices around here. I don't think it's the workmanship that's valued. On the east coast, anything old is automatically more expensive. It's funny when I think of the original use of antimacassars and the price they're sold for now.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I always check out the linens in antique stores - if there's a linen cloth with a crochet lace edge in good condition, then it comes home with me - to be loved again. Glad you rescued the lace doily.

6:33 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Is that the new Cascade sock yarn? I'd love to get my hands on some. I love Cascade 220. Let us know if you like it!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That is some gorgeous lace. And, as a lace knitting (although not at that gauge), I totally agree with you about lace knitting (and, really, knitting in general) being completely underappreciated. Sigh... Love the socks, and the new sock yarn! I've had great luck knitting mitts out of sock yarn, so I'd guess gloves'd be good too...

2:15 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Hmm, double knit for the wrists and hands, and single knit fingers for flexibility?Brilliant! The doislyis fabulous. Only 4$? Perhaps piecework knit by some patient grandmother in Taiwan while she minds the kiddies?

9:18 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

That's the yarn I'm using for my Meander scarf. It's lovely stuff.

I'd speculate that antique handknits are valued less than antique quilted items partly because the art is valued less, but also partly because handknits are perceived as being 1) more common 2) less useful. I'm more likely to buy an antique quilt than an antique knitted bedspread because, much as I might admire the knitted spread and appreciate the workwomanship involved, the quilt will keep me warmer at night. (Tangential economic musing: it occurs to me that antiques are one place where free-market economics actually work: since no one really needs antiques -- you could just as well buy a place mat at Homegoods for probably around the same price -- things are worth what someone will pay for them.)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter