Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 August 2008

Scooooore!

See, this is why I have so much thread. I'm always going to garage sales, estate sales, thrift stores, and antique stores and just looking.

90 to 95% of the time I find nothing. It's that 5 or 10% that keeps me checking.

Wednesday's haul:


What is this pink stuff? This is about 6 ounces of 12/1 linen thread for $4 from an antique mall. 12/1 linen runs about 3600 yards per pound, so about 1350 yards of linen for four bucks.

Let's look inside.
Hmm, a bit dark in there. It says "12/1 Lot A 31 Ederer Inc. Phila. 24 PA."

An RJ Ederer Thread Co. shows up in Philadelphia in the early 1900s, and closes (merges?) some time in the 1950's or 1960's.

I've knitted lace with linen before.

It hasn't been pink linen until now, though.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Jealous Jealous Jealous!

Lucky you!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That is a total score! Finds like that make it worth the hunt :)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That's the best! I love it when I can score something good when I'm at a garage sale.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

And it's a gold medal to Alwen in the garage sale fab finds event! (It really should be an olympic sport, don't you think!)

6:20 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Yes, I think Alwen has taken the gold on this one. And it's not pink. It's salmon. And to me, it yearns for beads.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

Wow! Who would have thought that someone would want to get rid of somthing so special - lucky girl!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a find!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

that's a bit of a find! Wow!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I love your blog and have given you the I love your blog award.

11:02 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

That is a great finding!We don't have garage sales like this in my country, that is sad, me too want to find treasures like this. And the colour is beautifil, it would make a great shawl.

6:30 AM  
Blogger One More Stitch said...

Fabulous find, spool and all, and what a gorgeous shade of pink! Have fun with it.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter