Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 August 2008

I Hate Change

Did I ever mention that? I hate change, and I've faced a lot of changes in July. Besides summer, that's another reason I haven't been blogging as much. I needed the energy to hold myself together.

My husband's AT was in July, so that was two weeks as parent-in-chief as well as chief cook and bottle washer. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know that my husband cooks. I fix stuff. I can bake a chicken, but that's not so fun in summer heat. So we ate a lot of canned pasta.

Another change was that I got a part-time job.

It's a little difficult to find work that won't interfere with taking our son to school and picking him up. I tried mystery shopping for a while, but we live a rural area, and while there were a few local shops available, it wasn't steady work, and as a perfectionist introvert, I found it stressful.

Interact with strangers, get their names, note if they say hello when you get within a certain distance. Frankly, I'd rather be left the heck alone, and I've no doubt my body language transmits this. (When I was pregnant, not once did anyone uninvited touch my pregnant belly. If they had, I probably would have growled and then bitten them. See?)

So I am somewhat bemused to have found a great introvert job . . . cleaning a couple of local banks after hours. Dilbert's garbage man is my new role model. "You have a college degree and you're working as a janitor?" Heh. But really, it's great. I clock in and out by phone. I'm all by myself with nothing but a time limit.

Although this is a good change, having work again, it's still change, and I've been adjusting to it.

Yet another change is that we finally ordered a new washing machine. I found the parts online to fix the broken one: for $400+ ! At that rate, we have a friend who could get us a new front loader at an employee discount for only a hundred and something more.

It really grinds me to replace this one so soon after fixing it last year. Plus this will be another change when the new one is delivered Thursday.

Anyway, that's my summing up of July.

To start out the changes for August, I finally upgraded to Firefox 3.0.1. At least that one's not too stressful.

I took some pictures and later on I plan to post about taking the point off of an eyed needle in order to use it for knitting.

Meanwhile, I'm almost out of thread on the Valdani "Mountain Hike" bag.And Nancy Shaw and Margot Apple have a new sheep book out, Sheep Blast Off!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Good luck with all your transitions. I'm not so good with change either, but I think I'm much better than I used to be. Life sort of gives you no choice in the matter, I think.

If/when I go back to work (hard to foresee what with homeschooling) it would be waitressing, which is something I can do at nights. I don't know why I went to college, either, but I'd have no problem waitressing with a college degree. I've done it before.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Yup, change is tough. I'm not so good at transitions, and neither is my husband (you can imagine, I'm sure, how well that works sometimes). Of course, I have a nasty habit of constantly seeking change, which I think is my way of trying to learn how to deal, but now I'm trying to learn to leave things be. Congratulations on finding a job that works for you! I know what you mean about the introversion thing; thank goodness my job allows me to go into my office and close the door for at least some of each day :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Actually, having the whole place to yourself can be kind of cool. Turn up the boom box, turn on all the lights, and be a goof if you want. Who but you will ever know that you vacuumed and did deep lunges while singing along with Crosby, Stills, and Nash?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter