Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 September 2008

Where I Was

On the first 9-11, I was at work. I posted about that here a couple of years ago.

Yesterday I was at the county fair, coincidentally on the day when veterans and current members of the military get in free.

Last year at the fair I got the great chicken photo in my profile. I love that picture!

I took pictures of chickens again, but plainly I'll never match the Phyllis Diller chickens of last year.

Foghorn Leghorn has nothing on this guy. I love the way a rooster looks you in the eye.

After I took his picture, I wandered down the row looking for somebody else eye-catching. Instead I found my next subject by ear.

This lady was well pleased with herself:
Too bad I didn't record her satisfied clucking. See the egg she just laid? She was telling the world.

In the animal barns, there were sheep (Shetlands in the foreground):

And sleeping pigs:

Large powerful horses:(This was the Youth Showmanship class - that's why there are different breeds and even a draft mule being shown.)

And small fast horses:

Tomorrow I'll show you the nice knitted doily I found at the antique store afterwards.

Meanwhile, if you want incredible knitted lace, how about Marianne Kinzel's Rose of England knitted using size 200 thread on needles made from heart catheterization wires? Dr. L. brought his finished Rose to the West Michigan Lace Group meeting Monday, the one I missed because I had to work, boo hoo!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Now that looks like a good day! I love the chicken pictures, especially that rooster (I would not mess with him for love nor money). As for the lace doily -- I'm glad that there's someone out there making things that amazing, but I think that I'm also glad that it's not my calling to do so!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh my - I didn't even know you could get 200 thread!! (the smallest I've got is 100).

Great pics.

6:52 PM  
Blogger amy said...

That doily is amazing. I'm sure it would drive me literally insane if I were to attempt it.

Aren't county fairs fun?!

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter