Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



29 September 2008

Oof.

New England asters, Aster novae-angliae (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae), that I rescued from the bulldozers a couple of years ago. Pink-y ones, purple-y ones.

They are starting to self-seed and come up in random spots around the yard. The place I got them from is now solid asphalt parking lot.

I was uploading a couple of pictures and feeling good that I had already taken away the old furnace parts to the scrap yard this morning, when my husband called and said, "Are you scared yet?"

He got a call asking if he wanted to go on the list to be deployed with a unit that is basically ready to go. They had a platoon sergeant, but something happened, and they need someone to fill the slot. If he went, he would have his drill this weekend, one week at home, and then leave.

Argh.

These last seven or so years have been very long, with roller-coaster emotions. I can't think about the possiblity of deployment all the time or I'd go nuts.

But it's always in the back of my mind. Just now it got dragged back to the front of my mind. It's hard to write about wildflowers and knitting when my mind is churning with what-ifs.

The title of this post was going to be "Dragon Skin Bag Gets Teeth".

After sitting for over a year, I was finally moved to pick it up and start knitting again. Teeth, ribbing, and then possibly a knitted-on edging.

But I'm distracted now. I forget what I was going to say about it.

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Your knitting and flowers are beautiful! I can understand that your mind is elsewhere, not all that happends in life is easy to manage. But then, somehow we ajust as times goes by.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kathleen C. said...

As the daughter of one military man (retired Navy)and Aunt of another (active Army... in Iraq right now) I understand the distration pefectly.
Take a deep breath, deal with only today (as much as you can), and hang in there...

12:14 PM  
Blogger ephelba said...

Well poop.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I can only imagine just how distracting that call would be. That's a lot to assimilate in a very short time. Hang in there as best you can, and write about it if it helps -- we'll all be here, thinking about you.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

My heart goes out to you.

1:08 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

can't imagine how that feels but am sending you a great big transoceanic HUG

11:18 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh Alwen I'm really sorry to hear about this and I'm not surprised at your distraction. Thinking of you and hoping the crafting and the flowers provides you with something to focus on to push the worry away.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Alwen, I can't pretend to know how that feels but I'm thinking of you

4:22 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

One hour at at time. The suspense and anxiety must be horrendous. Hugs and peace are on the way to you.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

(Deep sigh.) Shite. (Hug.)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Yikes! I'd be a complete basket case, with or without teeth. Oh, wait, that was a bag. Never mind.

That pic that I posted that you said was an aster? Not an aster, at least not a New England one. Not that that's probably uppermost in your mind right now. Yikes.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Oh I hope he doesn't go. I really, truly do.

Rescued wildflowers. How wonderful. I am sure you've posted about these in a previous year. And self seeding just means they are going to last for years - well done on saving them!

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking good thoughts and postive energy your way.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

hey Alwen, I gave you an award. See today's post!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter