Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 October 2008

Finally! Good News

Whew. After nearly a full week of worrying about possible deployment (I seem to worry with my stomach: I had a continuous stomachache for a week!), my husband finally found out Sunday that they had already found someone else to fill the open slot - on Wednesday!

I'd feel more like grumbling, "Well, they could have told you Wednesday" if I weren't so relieved. It was nice to sleep all night last night and not wake up in the middle of the night thinking of yet more other things I'd have to do if he was gone.

I'm not a person who worries about being alone or coping with stuff like plumbing. I did worry that I'd probably have to quit my job, not having anyone handy to watch our son, and about taking our son to Cub Scouts when my husband couldn't tell me either A) the address or B) the den leader's name! (He knows where the house is and that's apparently enough for him.)

I worry more about having to think up meals. I'd rather mow grass or shovel snow than cook.

But on to happier stuff.

I had a lovely birthday yesterday. It started out sunny, and I woke up thinking, "Cool! I got my Willow!"

The Society for Creative Anachronism has a whole system of awards and hierarchical things that I don't pretend to understand. The AoA (Award of Arms) basically says, "You're hanging out in the SCA." The Willow says, "You've been hanging out in the SCA and we notice you're good at certain stuff."

If you want to read alllll the Midrealm awards, the big long list is here.

Anyway, I was completely taken by surprise (thanks for nominating me, you guys!). Although it's not obvious in the photo, this scroll is illuminated in shiny gold. I've done just a little hand lettering, so I can tell you that a lot of fine work went into this piece. And it just goes to show that your basic obsessive volunteer will work for hours for the occasional emailed thank-you. (Thank you, Lady Hiordis Reginsdottir!)

In the morning, I knitted a little more on the socks I worked on Saturday at Vineyard Raids.

And later in the day, my parents came down to visit, and we went out to lunch. Mmm, pizza!

Here's how I know my husband loves me: he doesn't enjoy bagpipes, but he got me a bagpipe CD (Spirit of the Glen) because I love bagpipes.

But I think the nicest present was hearing "They got someone else to fill that slot."

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I'm so happy for you! And a belated Happy Birthday to you as well. Libras Rule!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That truly is the best possible present! But it sounds like you got a lot of others, too, for good measure :) If you like bagpipe music, have you heard the Wicked Tinkers? A bit of a twist on the traditional style (so maybe not your thing), but our family loves them. Happy belated birthday :)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

That is great that he doesn't have to go!

1:50 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I'm glad you had such a happy birthday with good news besides! I think this time of year is such a nice time to have a birthday, but I'm a little biased. :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

That would be a great present in my book. Yay for SCA! And yay for someone else! Although I spare a thought for Mrs. (or Mr., as the case may be) someone else.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Oh, also, and last but not least, yay for purple socks!

3:58 PM  
Blogger ephelba said...

Well that is a relief- been thinking about you guys. Happy BDay!

4:40 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

Good news; glad to hear it! Oh, and Happy Birthday...

4:43 PM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

That is good news, indeed! Nice socks, btw. I have some socks just starting holes after 3 years, but my Magic Stripes socks are still unhole-y and get worn most often.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Happy birthday Alwen! And what a relief. (I would hate having to cook every night, too)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you and I am feeling your relief all the way over here. My husband spent 6 years in the Navy and I was so glad he didn't join the reserve. I married him while he was in the service but promised myself no kids until he got out. I didn't want to spend half of my time as a single mom. I would bet that cooking aside, you would be very capable of taking care ot things. And the Willow is beautiful. I received an award at work a few years ago that has gold leaf and gorgeous lettering. I have done some minor work lettering and yes, there is a LOT of work in there.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

That's great news! And Happy Birthday!! and yay for purple socks - fabulous!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

Many Happy (belated!) Returns of the day! And Im so happy that you had such good news to top it all off. And bagpipe music! Score!

2:28 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

that IS a very good present. Best ever. What a relief.

Sounds like you had a fabulous day all round.

5:07 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

yayyyy! Keeping the other half at home is a WONDERFUL thing!! Happy birthday and many happy returns of the day.

9:45 AM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Finally catching up!! How wonderful - happy birthday - love the order of the willow - very cool and so glad about the (lack of) deployment! All good things come to those who wait!

5:06 AM  
Blogger the boogeyman's wife said...

a very belated happy birthday! glad you're keeping your husband at home.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Messy Mommy said...

what a lovely surprise! I was just googling my name out of curiosity, and I decided to google my SCA name, for kicks. There on the page was a reference that I didn't recognize, so I clicked the link, and lo and behold, was a scroll of my hand and a thank you! How it brings a smile to my face! I'm glad that you like it, I so rarely get to encounter the recipients after they receive their award!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter