Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 October 2008

Wake-up Friday. With Errands. And General Rambling.

I worked last night and drove home thinking, "Cool! Tomorrow the child has no school; the husband has already worked his four ten-hour days; so I can sleep in!"

Hah.

At 4:16 am this morning, the black dog, Truffles, woke me up standing on her hind legs with her paws by my pillow. "Mmmmm," I probably said. Sometimes when she does this, if I just put my hand on her, she will sit down, then lay down (don't get on me about lie and lay: I keep looking it up and it keeps not sticking), then fall asleep.

Not this morning. She did curl up on her bed again for about one minute, but after getting the older-dog-with-bad-teeth breath right in the face a couple more times, I got up and let both dogs outside into the fenced yard.

Then I curled up on the couch with my son's hooded cloak over me and dozed off until Ajax scraped on the aluminum screen door to come in, and after that we all three went back to bed.

Until 7:15 am, when our son climbed onto the bed and started saying, "Wake up! Wake up!"

Raaahhhhhhh!

Oh, well, no sleeping in. Instead I had a fried egg chopped up on toast (yum, eggs from down the road with actual orange yolks and flavor) and a little later we bought a cabinet to stand the tiny soapstone gas stove on.

My Honda Fit is indeed a Tardis: the cabinet fit into the back, just like our old 1988 Honda Civic hatchback (also red, also a Tardis of a car).

After lunch, I went up to town to do grocery-shopping and look for shoes. My old white (formerly white) walking shoes have become "ventilated shoes," with the back ripped away from the sole, and so there was no putting off replacing them any more. Disreputable I can live with, but sticks stabbing me in the heel, no.

I hate shopping for shoes. Ever since I went to the Netherlands and saw how easily the Dutch can pick out Americans (that would be: Nikes + jeans + a university sweatshirt over a paunch), I've tried to avoid buying what I think of as dead giveaway American shoes. Some years it's easy, other years hard.

I did come home with a couple of pairs of walking-around shoes that I hope won't annoy me too much.

As a reward for finally doing the shoe-shopping, I bought some of the new Red Heart "Heart and Sole" sock yarn.

I have to say that it feels pretty nice. If I wound it off into a skein, overdyed it, relabelled it, and marked it up, I could probably smuggle it onto the shelf on the yarn store and no one would be curling their lip in that "Red Heart - euwwwww" way. I think they're a little late on the whole self-striping bandwagon, but hey, there's always dye.

Anyways, hi. I'm alive. Despite not getting to sleep in!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That is my least-favorite thing in the whole world -- when the much-anticipated lie-in (and no, I don't know the difference either; this suggests to me as a linguist that the difference is disappearing, as linguistic features sometimes do -- I wonder what it'll be replaced with?) turns into hideous earliness. It sounds like the rest of the day went well, though, which is most definitely worth something.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Ha, my sister and I have always considered white sneakers with jeans a dead giveaway for an American.

2:41 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Yah know, when I went to live in Denmark for a year, people were warning me, "Don't wear this because you'll look like an American. Don't do that because people will know you're an American." Finally I said to myself, I AM an American! And I wore my Levis and cowboy hat and boots all over, and people thought I was a Swede. You are who you are. So what?

Too bad about the truncated lie-in (A chicken lays an egg. That helps me remember which is passive and which is active.) But the local eggs sound divine!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

If you haven't already purchased your walking shoes, you may want to check out REI.com they also have an outlet on their website. The merrils are great if your foot is wide or the Vasque if your foot runs a little narrow. My body does not allow me to sleep in, I am an early riser whether I like it or not, so I can't even imagine anticipating sleeping in. You are so fortunate to have the occasional one.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I haven't bought shoes since I bought my dansko shoes 2 years ago. They are the best shoes for work, look nice and are kind to my back. I still live in sneakers all weekend. Can't help it. And what's wrong with looking like an American?

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I was just commenting recently that neither dogs nor babies understand the concept of sleeping in.

And, omg, those eggs are good! I cooked one in a pan next to a commercial egg just to show Eli the difference and the "real" yolks are definitely orange.

Lastly, blueberry bushes? Where!? We should go pick some next summer, yah? :-)

Love, Beth

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter