Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 November 2008

'Tis the Season

The season of tempting garden catalogs flooding into the mailbox.

I've been a gardener long enough to realize that 90% of my extravagant winter garden plans don't come off.

Spring comes, and the soil is still frozen, or too wet, or it rains for eleven days, or the mosquitoes come out early and there is a limit to the number of times I can swat myself in the head before giving up and going indoors.

But in the winter, all things seem possible in the garden. Once again it seems possible that I will start all my seeds on time and plant all my transplants without being frustrated by cutworms, chipmunks, or groundhogs. Once again I can curl up and dream with pictures of heirloom tomatoes and zinnias the size of my head.

Winter is also knitting season.

With the garden put to bed and the lawnmower snowed into the storage shed, I have an excuse to sit indoors in the warm and knit.

Here are some of the diagrams I drew of the funky corner pieces that a knitted circle needs to become a knitted square.

(If you need an excellent compass for drawing circles, I blogged about my mmArc in this post a couple of years ago. And now I can point you to the joy of Google Patents and tell you that this is US Patent #5,615,485. Safe-T Products was acquired by a company called Learning Resources in 2006, and Learning Resources sells both the mmArc in millimeters and the orange Safe-T compass in fractions of an inch.)

And here is how the math geekery works out in the actual knitting.

(Did I ever mention that this is not a blog where you will find math hate or weather hate?)

And now for something completely different - as long as I'm talking about geekery and thinking about weirdness, I just noticed that Monty Python has a YouTube channel.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Well, your math turned out brilliantly -- I can't quite get my head around it, but I always love seeing when things like that work. And Monty Python on UTube -- bestill my heart. (My verification word is "relexte", as in "I relexte on the couch and knitted".)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

The hub swears by Starrett (www.starrett.com) for any kind of drawing or precision anything tool.

Just, you know, in case you hadn't heard of them.

And needed help filling up your Christmas list with calipers and micrometers.

Enjoy!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Don't you just love how the colder weather gives you that permission? YOu talk about the weather and the math all you want Alwen. I love it all.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

ps my zinnia's are still little itty bitty green sprouts at the moment. The minute they're big, you'll see photos.

11:45 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Sorry about the deer - and it seems quite remarkable to me that you have snow and it's not even properly summer here yet!

Love the math and the corners - guess you are a big heap cleverer than me!!!!
See - security word - rolly - and the last one was scrum - weird!

12:56 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I don't always understand the math (I nearly failed geometry and not for lack of trying)but I like seeing how people work things out. I keep hoping that one day the switch for math in my brain will move to the on position and i'll get it.

9:10 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

I'm and English major. You do the math! I'll stand back in awe and applaud! Yayyyy!

My word is cremal - possiblly a brand name for packaged cream caramel.

10:25 AM  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Math Rocks!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

I had to laugh at the idea of "math hate." Well, from you anyway, my husband can hate it enough for both of us! ;-)

Verification word: Sainlyw, patron saint of the loo perhaps?

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter