Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 November 2008

Well, Stink!

Yesterday, Friday, was a pretty good day that did not end so well. We headed off in my husband's cursèd deer-magnet car to a potluck meeting and (can you see this one coming? we didn't!) oh yes we did!

We hit another deer. Much harder than the last one.

I have no pictures. We went back to get some things out of the car this morning and I didn't think to bring the camera.

Then I spent a good chunk of the day as a solo demonstrator for the West Michigan Lace Group at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum's Festival of Arts, and I got home in the dark.

Important stuff: all of us were okay. My son's only complaint was that his library book shot off the seat in the dark. (Maybe that'll teach that library book to wear its seatbelt.) Our seatbelts and the crumple zone did their jobs.

Heartwarming stuff: The people across the road came out and called 911 for us. They brought out orange safety triangles and moved one of their own cars so its emergency flashers were visible, and stood around talking in the dark until the police came to do the accident report.

They also turned out to run a cab company, and had one of their cabs run us home for free.

Not-so-great stuff: The deer didn't survive the collision. The car took a hit right between the headlights that crushed the hood and bent the radiator back towards the engine. Since this happened late on a Friday night, we probably won't know for a while what kind of damage estimate we are looking at or if the insurance company will total the car.

Is it wrong of me to secretly hope they do total the thing so we can get a different car than this deer-killing one?

13 Comments:

Blogger Cindy, aka Maxfun said...

oh, my stars! Glad you're all okay. I bet even the library book is okay, once found. :)

Sorry for the deer. :(

Glad for the nice neighbors! :)

If the radiator got taken out as you describe AND the airbags deployed, your insurance will probably total the car. Usually that combination is pretgy much a sure thing.

Next car, you need a sonar deer-warning device installed! (I don't know if such a thing exists, but it would be good!)

7:56 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

Well, stink, indeed. Glad to hear you are okay. But what a bummer... it happens so quickly and there's just no way to avoid it!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

Bambi is crying right now. Just kidding.

David and I had a long distance relationship for too long. I had to drive through some of the more deer-infested highway twice a week. That car was too crappy, I think the deer managed to run because they were afraid of being hit by a rolling dumpster full of coffee cups.

I am sorry. I hope your next car doesn't have the same emotional problems as this one.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Glad you are all ok - but sorry about the deer - I do hope you are able to get a new car - it's important especially for the deers!!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Well, hell. Glad everyone is all right.

No, you're not wrong to hope the car is totaled out and you get a new one. I would hope the same thing right now.

I once nearly put my car in a ditch rather than hit what looked like an eight to ten point buck. Only a fellow midwesterner would understand. I also once heard the tale of a guy in Cook's Forest (PA) who hit a deer, had it roll over his car, and was stuck in it for two days until someone else happened along.

Good times. You guys need more hunters.

8:50 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Thank God for nice neighbors who are well prepared, generous, and efficient!

I think it is only practical to hope that the car is totaled. Maybe our Australian friends can turn you on to a source for Roo-guards -- big cow-catcher sort of things to fasten to the front of the car.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh. Now, that's not a good story at all. But I am so tremendously glad that you are all three OK, and that your neighbors were such good people. Let us know what happens with the car!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Sympathy.

Glad everyone is OK except the deer and the car. If you want to be totaled, I wish you a total and a spiffy new car with deer repellent.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Kathleen C. said...

Glad you're okay!
I've hit a deer before and know the awfulness of the impact (those things are big! Hitting one is not good!), and then the worry about your car and the guilt at hitting it (stupid deer).
Good luck.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, yuck! I hope you do get to buy a new non-deer-killer car. In Australia you can buy a gadget called a Shu-Roo - it emits a sound that is supposed to repel them. Don't know how well it works though and if it would work for deer!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Eek. That sounds about as fun as hitting kangaroos. Sorry this happened again - but yes, if you get a new car out of it, that's not so bad. Not so good for the deer though.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Yikes! Glad to hear you're all OK. I hit a deer once, 's no fun!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Sorry about the car; but what happens to the venison?

IMWTK

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter