Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



16 January 2009

Catching Up

My last post was on Tuesday's snow day.
Wednesday the kids had school, and in the evening, we had sunshine!

I went out and shovelled like a fiend. The snow had drifted over the edges of the driveway on the weekend, and I had shovelled it just barely wide enough to get in and out.

I cut the edges back, emptied out the middle, and moved the huge piles at the end of the driveway by the road, all by hand with the shovel. Apparently I did a good job, since my husband said he thought at first I must have hired someone with a plow.



Good thing, too. Wednesday night we had more snow. From 4:30 Wednesday to 8:00 am Thursday, we got enough more that school was closed again.

My husband decided that instead of working his four 10-hour days Monday through Thursday, he would skip Thursday and work Friday.

We had this much new snow. My new birdfeeder looked like a big white gumdrop.

Thursday was bitterly cold, around 10 F (-12 C), with windchills around 0 F (about -18 C).

I let my husband go outside and take a turn shovelling and bringing some wood in for the soapstone stove, and I alternated between getting our son to work on schoolwork, and turning the heels on a pair of socks I got stuck on last fall.

I got a mental block about the heel turn, and I just couldn't work it out. I tried a couple of times and my mind just kept going blank.

Before Christmas, I picked up all my in-progress knitting projects and stuffed the lot into a bag out of the way. I've been taking out one project at a time to work on.

This time, I took out the piece of paper, looked at my stitch and row gauge, and figured out the heel turn in about five minutes. Huh.

I don't know where my brain went all that time, but apparently it decided to come back.

And school is closed once again today. We didn't get a lot more snow, but the roads are icy, it's windy, and the fine light snow drifts across them. We have a windchill advisory for windchills down to -18 F.

Next week the temperatures are supposed to warm back up into the 20's and I'll probably be walking around with my coat open.

I just looked at my calendar and realized that since Monday is Martin Luther King day, the armory will be closed and our son will again have no school. So if it goes quiet, that's probably us hanging out together. Maybe if it's warm enough, we'll go ice skating.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

Your poor little guy will be in school forever if this keeps up. Funny how the brain works. I've done the same kind of thing.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow. That is one heckuva lot of snow! It's hard to imagine... The socks look great, though -- welcome back, brain :)

3:24 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Isn't it weird how you can't figure something out, you put it down and come back to it and work it out straight away! Happens to me often!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I cannot tell you how many times I've woken up and thought, "Oh yeah, that'll totally work!'

Warm Up to the 20's? That's just wrong.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

We had at least four more inches of snow last night. Hardly noticable on top of all the rest of it.

I'm waiting until the balmy temps arrive on Saturday to shovel out.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a Junco I see at your feeder, along with the chickadee? We get those here too, in Northern Arizona, where we're melting out from under about 3 feet of December snow.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

I've done that with sock heels - just gone completely blank - right around the time I realise I didn't actually turn the heel but went straight to the gussets....strange.

SO MUCH SNOW!

6:41 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

You are hardy folks up there in the snowy north! I won't even go rake leaves if htere's a stiff breeze, and there you are shoveling snow!

Hooray for the sock heel! I would have just gone for short row.

Awesome pictures. Thanks so much for sharing those.

9:31 AM  
Blogger catsmum said...

very purty! ... snow pics and sock both.
I had a similar problem recently when i picked up a cardi [ the feather and fan one of the cover of Lace Style ] and could not for the life of me work out where I was up to ... I mean it's feather and fan for God's sake ... sheesh

6:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara Gordon said...

Interesting Blog. I love your bird pictures, but don't know why my yellow finches look so different than yours, huh! I'm a knitter, but haven't really knitted other than scarves in quite a while and now I want to do at least one pair of socks. Hope I can do it when I do try. Love the snow pictures also.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter