Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 February 2009

Rivers Will Be Rising

I was thinking while dutifully knitting the day's six rows of sock knitting that for me, a lot of blog posts start with a picture. Like Alice in Wonderland, I like pictures and conversations:

...'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversations?'

If I have a picture, I have something to start a conversation about. Sometimes I take photos to illustrate the conversations that go on in my head.

This one illustrates the contrast between Tuesday and Saturday.

We are having another winter heat wave. Southern Hemisphere readers may now throw shoes - our heat wave was up to 53 F (12 C), but it felt warm enough to us that our son and I went outside in boots (for the slushy snow) and t-shirts (for the sunshine)!

We sloosh-slooshed down the driveway to take a picture of the rising water:
And it was while we were slishing through the slush out to the fire circle that I realized that one reason I haven't posted as much this winter was that I was reluctant to take my camera outdoors when it was 19 degrees F.

The cold makes the batteries claim to be low, and the lens fogs up when I come back in. I thought about knitting my camera a woolly hat and some mittens.

All too soon, we had to take our wet feet indoors: my favorite boots have developed a crack on one side, and the child's boots are those fabric-instep ones, great for real cold, but not leakproof.

And now we'll have to keep an eye on the basement for the next couple of days.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

Hee hee, I'm pretty sure you don't want me to throw all my shoes at you!!

Glad it's a bit warmer but hope the basement's ok...

3:01 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

I had a basement I could have used as a trout ranch in the spring. Hope yours stays dry.

Love your photos. I like the vicarious experience. And you NEED new boots, but until then, put a breadbag over your foot when you put the boots on, and keep your socks dry.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Enjoy your heat wave, and stay dry :)

6:54 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

A couple of days ago I could have thrown shoes at you, yes! It's since dropped down to an almost chilly 24 degrees here!

Lovely shots. I had no idea cameras could respond badly to the cold!

1:24 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Hehe, maybe my camera needs some too! Seems like you have as strange winter this year as we have, heavy snow - then pretty warm - and then heavy snow. Makes a lot of water ...

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter