Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



02 February 2009

It's a Cross-Quarter Day

Never mind groundhogs, astronomically February 2nd is a cross-quarter day, halfway between the solstice (winter for us, summer for my southern hemisphere friends) and the equinox.

What this means is that the slow gain of daylight, a minute or two a day, will speed up. More sunshine! I'm looking forward to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Olivia said...

I hope you enjoy gradually getting more sunshine. We have a little too much of it at the moment. I love the long days but the sun has a real bite to it, and we're constantly being reminded that 2 in 3 Australians will develop skin cancer.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

The light, it burns!

Just kidding, my body is starving for sunlight.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Me personally, I'd like a little less sunshine! And it sounds like my wish is the sun's command!!!

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cross-quarter day", eh? Hadn't heard that term before -- interesting.

1:29 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Yesterday (cross-quarter day, as I now know) my 4yo asked why I was making dinner already, "It's nowhere near dinner time, it's not dark yet!!" Ah, the children of the northern latitudes. The winter my oldest was 2 was another particularly bad one, and somewhere around February or March the sun came out and he asked, "What is that strange glow?" Ha. That's the SUN, kiddo!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Yup, yup, yup! Celebrated in older European religions as Imbolc -- it's all about getting a little more of that sunshine in northern climes. I hope you're starting to feel it!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I learn such cool things on your blog. The thought of more sunshine is totally exciting, although I hope it doesn't thaw so fast we have more flooding. I think we've had enough flooding this fall/winter season.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter