Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 January 2009

Beautiful Photos

I was checking the weather this morning and clicked over to this article on the National Weather Service website:

Will Lake Michigan Freeze Over?

It has a gorgeous satellite photo of the partly-frozen lake, obscured by clouds on the eastern edge. (We see the underside of those clouds a lot all winter.) The article also has photos taken from the snowy beach looking out onto the icy lake. There will be no ice skating out there, I can tell you that!

Then I found this cheerful article:
Seasonal Snowfall Totals as of January 24

That was six days ago - there has been more snow here since then. I'm already in the 105 inch zone. Can I have three cheers for the snowblower?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger tatt3r said...

I remember that winter of 78-79, and there was ice on all 6 Great Lakes. I was living in an old house with a tired furnace and my newborn daughter. Oh, we were cold in Lansing, and I dressed her in layers of jammies trying to keep her warm. I even put a blanket over the top of her bassinet to keep the heat in. I've got a different old house, but a newer furnace now.

8:16 AM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

oops. 5 great lakes, not 6. fat finger typo. grrrr.

8:17 AM  
Blogger amy said...

That's fricking crazy. Freeze Over? Brr. This winter has been stupid cold.

I emailed you back on your comment. The gist: Have Fun. Good Luck. Take Care of Yourself.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Alwen, I think you should consider moving to Phoenix! I'm here right now for work. The weather has been "cool" - I think it was about 70! At the show I was working were booths for various local groups: spinners & weavers, quilters, knitters, embroiderer's guild, etc, etc. Very needle arts enthusiastic! I'm sure I'm living in the wrong place!

1:47 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

All that ice on the lake - how deep does it get? Do people set up their ice fishing shacks on the Great Lakes as well as on the lesser ones? How do they know when and where the ice is thick enough and how do they know when to pack it up in the spring? Ice fishing for sport is such abberant, counter-intuitive behavior that it just fascinates me. It's all an excuse for guys to get out of the house and drink and fart together, isn't it?

Thanks for these links. Weather is amazing stuff! And thank God for snowblowers!!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! ;)

10:38 PM  
Blogger historicstitcher said...

I went to Marquette, MI the last time Superior froze over (1992-3 winter) and the sights were spectacular! The three of us on the trip went way far out onto the ice and climbed the enormous mountains of frozen waves. It was amazing!

Roxie: when I lived on Lake St. Claire in the 80s, we used to bet on which fishing shanty would fall through the ice because the owner didn't pull it off before the thaw. Each shack has the name and address of the owner painted in large letter on the side so if/when it gets retrieved it can be returned and used again next year!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter