Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 February 2009

A Little Something for the Snow-Deprived

(Click to see the full-sized image.)

At the top, two weeks ago (6 February) we had just gotten another little dusting of snow. I grabbed this picture of the sunrise from a local webcam. You can see a bit of one of the marinas, the pier, and one of the channel lights.

In the middle, the best picture of the pier and channel light in the snowstorm. The rest were so swirled with snow that they just looked like gray blurs.

At the bottom, the same view this morning as we got a brief sunny gap between bands of snow. The channel has filled up with ice and floating slush.

Yesterday morning, first thing, we got up and my husband drove us into the teeth of the storm.

We had planned all week to go to an auction, and we didn't let more snow stop us. We left early so we could go out for breakfast first.
The highway was snowy.

I had Belgian waffles with strawberries, but I left my camera in the car while we ate.

This auction trip was mainly my husband's. It was one of four auctions selling off things from an unmarried guy who liked to buy cooking stuff (George Foreman grills, crockpots and slow cookers, pots and pans) and never opened the boxes!

But the place was really packed and the bidding was competitive. My husband did get a nice made-in-Austria cabbage board, but it was clear that many people showed up for the cooking stuff, as it was going for around 75% of retail.

Then they auctioned off a bag of yarn: Red Heart in beige, green, and brilliant orange. I managed to restrain myself.

After the crowd thinned out, our son and I took a couple of the empty chairs and I worked on the rainbow mittens.

I'm mostly adding the thumbs on the way Alex shows on her blog, Knit-R-Done. I did have to fudge a little and add an extra plain round at first to keep the base of my thumb from getting squished, but how happy would I be if I could just follow a pattern and not play with it?

Eventually they had sold off the other boxes my husband was interested in, and he drove us home. I sat in my knitting spot, worked on mittens, and took a picture of the bird feeder from the loveseat.
(The yellow is the camera's reaction to the fluorescent bulb in the ceiling light.)

First thing this morning, we had more snow!

It looks like a good day to try and finish this pair of mittens.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Not feeling snow deprived here at all, but I'm very happy today it's pouring rain instead of more snow.

I like how the mitten thumbs have thicker stripes. I mean, of course they would, but I like how they look against the rest of the mitten. Like, Here we are! Thumbs!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

Thanks for the shout out. They look great. I think that bag of Red Heart might be the one I sold at our garage sale last year.

3:47 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

Missed seeing you yesterday. Ah well--the time will come, I'm sure. Glad you made it home safely...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh snow! Definitely a good day to finish the mittens!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Gosh that's a lot of snow. So very much! Thanks for the update!

2:28 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

You did say that you're a snowdog, right? So all that white crap should be making you very happy. If I were a bird in your yard I would be just about DONE with winter!

Thanks for the great pictures and the auction report. I think TV shopping ought to be a recognized addiction with a twelve-step program and regular meetings for the addicts. DH and I have been to some of those estate sales with un-opened boxes of stuff. Eleven identical blenders. Fifteen Flab-busters. Two dozen Ginsu knives kits. It's a sickness.

9:33 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

When we live like we do, the snow can not stop us lol:. Oh I would love to have the birdfeeders so close to my window, maybe next year. Then I will start feeding them much earlier in the season. Great mittens you are knitting, love to see them finished! We have had two days with warm sun now, so today the snow fell down from the roof. And on with the shuffeling again lol:.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow, the snow's just not letting up at all, is it? I can see some on the mountains around here, but none where I am. The mittens are looking great!

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter