Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 March 2009

Stuff I Have Not Shown You

The sharp-shinned hawk (I'm about 65% sure it was sharp-shinned) came back. And ate. I didn't get a sharper photo, but you probably didn't want to see any closer anyhow.

The way I got my knitting mojo back the last time it pegged out was by knitting some boring, uncomplicated dishcloths.
I finally remembered that, so I got out an old project, almost finished, and finally cast it off. It was the small double-knitted square on the bottom left made of crochet cotton on US size 1 needles (2.5 mm).

Then I went through Mary Thomas and tried what she calls "Rib-Welt Fabrics", with alternating squares of 1-1 rib and garter stitch. (Bottom right above.)

(These are what I call "spa washcloths", after an eleven-dollar washcloth I saw in a catalog once.)

By then I was interested in knitting again, and I knitted the edge on the green background to the left.

I knitted around the corner, just like an Orenberg shawl (the going around the corner: the border itself is from the old dishcloth my husband rescued from the armory).

Then I knitted the bottom edge, turned the second corner, and picked up stitches to knit from edge to edge (the cloth on the needle at the top). The pattern in the center is Mary Thomas's "Diagonal Rib and Check Combined" from page 41 of her Book of Knitting Patterns.

Once I've knitted it nearly square, I'll turn the corner at one edge, and knit on a sideways border like the Pi shawl's, then turn one final corner and graft 8 stitches.

And apparently that broke the dam, because Friday I joined a knit-along for Herbert Niebling's "Leberblümchen" from Kunststricken: Große und kleine Decken.
I'm always knitting with thread on tiny needles, so I decided to break out of that rut and use yarn and US 5 (3.75 mm) needles. It's so . . . large. It grows so fast!

And I'm not sure how easy this yarn will be to block. There may be wailing and gnashing of teeth. We'll see.

Meanwhile, all I have to do is figure out how I'm supposed to knit the two separate end sections to make this come out oval. (And decide if I'm going to jazz around with it or knit it as written.)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! You have cast on for a Niebling doily! Welcome to the dark side, liebling. You opened the door for me, let me pull you through it. (Enjoy. His stuff is really cool.)

Double knit on size ones.... with crochet cotton. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You're nuts. (Takes one to know one.)

Welcome back, knitting mojo!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I love the white cloths - simple and elegant - definitely day spa cloths!!

Mmmm, Niebling. One day, I will follow you.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It certainly does look like the dam has broken! That last project looks amazing -- I can't wait to see it getting bigger and bigger :)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I cast on a cardigan with worsted weight... it feels huge too!

8:45 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Of course you will fiddle around with it. Knitting is ever and always a learning experience.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

What interesting projects. I love the blue lace. Once everyone in my family has too many sweaters and too many socks, I want to knit doilies. Just to see if I can do it. Meanwhile, I'll watch yours grow with interest.

Isn't this weather great?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

A feast for the eyes and imagination here. Go doily go! I wanna do one of them too.

LOVE the white dishcloths.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Ya know, when I need something simple to sooth the knitting powers, I choose a dead-simple dishcloth to knit. But not you! You need to go for something that makes you think I suppose.

But then, the thinking was training for the Niebling. It's looking wonderful.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter