Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



18 March 2009

Leberblümchen

This is all very interesting. What you do to make Leberblümchen oval is, knit back and forth on one end, following the chart, until you have decreased down to one stitch.

If you have Kunststricken: Große und kleine Decken, Leberblümchen is on page 5 of the booklet, charts 25 A B & C.

The first part of Chart A (and all of Chart C) is pretty straightforward.

The second part of Chart A is tricky. You knit the section between the dark lines twice, then the section following the dark lines twice. Then you do that again.

This gives you eight petals that are not quite the same, arranged 1-1-2-2-1-1-2-2 around the center. When you knit Chart B (I've just finished one repeat of B in the first photo), you use the "1" petal stitches at each end and knit back and forth, leaving the "2" stitches on a holder (or in my case, waiting around on a dpn).

Okay, actually I see from the photo that I was knitting in the spaces between the petals. But anyway!

After you've done this down-to-one-stitch thing twice, in order to knit along the sides, you make a yarnover and pick up the back of a slipped stitch. What a coincidence - I just picked up all those slipped stitches on the latest spa cloth.

And then it looks like this:

Still Life with Double Pointed Knitting Needles


I might go back and knit another of these with white or at least pale-colored thread, because I find it's true what the lacemakers say, "The color wears the lace." (I love that phrase, and I'm so stealing it.)

Meanwhile, I'm learning a lot about this pattern. I'm about halfway through the border (chart C) rows.

Here's a sure sign of spring, despite the complete lack of green anywhere: the dredge is out in the channel today.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Wow, that is one dangerous-looking piece of knitting!! I think it's beautiful.

And yay for signs of spring, whatever they may be!!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for doing the learning curve on this for me; it'll be so much easier when I hit the oval shapes. Knitting Schusselblume was quite the experience, and it was a RECTANGLE.

On the color, yeah, I hate white doilies because they say 'GRANDMA' so loudly, and yet deep colors sort of disguise the lace and leave you with something more like a tablecloth. It's conundrum, all right.

The color wears the lace. Yeah. I'm stealing that too.

...yanno, that'd be easier on a circular. Just sayin'.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Gorgeous.

What an interesting way to knit with all the double points. While they must be a challenge to manage, the pattern shows up so much better than with a circular.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

oooof, my head hurts after reading that description. Also, how many dpns do you have, woman! Amazing!!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Love that architecture, simply stunning!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

When people see the 4 dpns in use when I am knitting a sock, they are amazed until I explain that actually only one is ever in use at a time. I had to keep reminding myself that as I looked at all those needles. It's really beautiful.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, wow. That's a LOT of dpns! I love seeing how this is constructed, and I can't wait to see it finished :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

holy mackrel. Amazing. I had no idea that could be done. Thanks for the impressive lesson!

8:05 AM  
Blogger catsmum said...

Just the thought of what went into that makes my head hurt
[ and the designer is clearly schizophrenic to have even thought of it in the first place ]

ye Gods and little fishes

awesome - in the literal sense

5:58 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

heh. you know when you knit with DPNs in public and someone always has to come up and say OMG! so many needles! How complicated! And you say, well, not really, you just go around in a circle...
Looking at your 'still life', I'm at risk of turning into that person.

8:42 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

I can just see that still life in a gallery. The interplay of tension and elasticity acutely represents the heightened stress of modern life, while the contrast between the soft, organic comfort of the yarn, and the sharp danger of the multiple needles speaks to ongoing dance of need and security - the essential ambiguity of existence.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter