Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 April 2009

Christel Growth

Little by little, Christel is growing larger.

I took a hint from the Christine Duchrow pattern I knitted in November as the center of this square lap blanket and started making double yarnovers and knitting them off as a single stitch in the plain round.

This added some ease, but not quite enough, so I needled up from my 00 (1.75 mm) knitting needles to the US size 0 (2.00 mm) ones.

Between the big yarnovers and the 0.25 mm increase, now I'm a little more comfortable that this might end up looking similar to the photo in the booklet after I block it.

Here is another interesting structural thing about this particular Niebling pattern.

In the big picture, notice how the stockinette rays make that little bump about halfway up the leaves?

This is what that section looks like folded in half. The bump is where that stockinette ray switches to paired decreases in the center. Not only do the stitches lean, the fabric biases there and makes the knitting bump up.

If I paid attention to this stuff, it should be possible to knit a three-dimensional face/mask using all these little tricks of decreases and yarnovers and biasing . . .

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I can't believe you're doing that on DPNs.

You realize the bumps will very likely block out. Lace always looks like butt before it's blocked.

Still can't believe you're using eight DPNs.

2:09 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

You frighten me - knitting a three dimensional mask? Holy crow, woman! Go for it!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, what a fabulous idea! I want to see that mask...

12:50 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Will the bumps block out? I'm with Julie, 8 dpns blows my mind. And the idea of a mask is intriguing.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter