Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



31 March 2009

Blue Post

Although it snowed again Sunday, it's hard for me to feel blue when the Eastern bluebirds, Sialia sialis, show up in the snow and alternate between tearing at the weathered sumac berries and hunting insects.

Although they are small birds, I often think they hunt like a tiny little hawk, sitting on a perch, flying down to the ground to catch a bug, then flying back up to the perch to consume it and look for the next one.

Male and female both used our chainlink fence and the sumac bushes to perch and hunt for nearly an hour Sunday while it snowed.

I was cruising along on Christel following the chart, and then I looked at the directions.

I can't read German, but I can puzzle out a few words of knitting German, and I saw something about DoppelumschlÀgen (double yarnover). The only problem was, I couldn't find any double yarnovers in the chart.

Did I ever mention I love the internet? I asked both the Niebling Yahoo group and the Ravelry Niebling group, and between the two I found that there is exactly ONE double yarnover in the chart, in Round 45.

Like a lot of Niebling knitting designs, this one does some puzzling things, namely reducing the stitch count from 37 stitches per repeat in round 41 down to 31 stitches in round 47. Circumference going down . . . as radius goes up.

Nieblings are known for binding or ruffling in odd ways. I have a hard time believing that someone who could design things that look like this was unaware of the effects of stitch count.

So was this deliberate? Stretching a certain part of the circle is going to make that part more open. Ruffling, when you block, is going to give you more density. It could have been deliberate, and as I knit along, I burn to know.

But. Too late! Can't ask him. When we get that Historic Knit time machine, he has to go on the list of stops we're making.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

I've never seen a live bluebird. Thank you so much for showing photos. How wonderful to live with harbingers of happiness.

So you have this insanely difficult pattern in German which you can't read but you're knitting it anyway . . . lace knitters are nuts. You know this, right?

(My word is lasyss - lazy ass? My approach to housework.)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm sure you know this, but the more openwork the lace, the fewer stitches you need to cover the same surface area. So if the doily is going from a stockinette center to a lacy bit, it's not totally out to lunch for it to do this.

Otherwise, no idea. Figuring out Niebling is like figuring out Mozart.


Spam word, 'herre'. An unemphatic, bored 'hurray'?

10:06 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

Isn't "Herre" Swedish for "Master"? Like "Herr Niebling" in German.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was having a difficult time looking at 8 (!) dpns at one time. Now I know how people feel when they look at socks on the needles and that's only 4.

I've also never seen a live bluebird. They're so intensely blue! We have cardinals and blue jays and they are colorful, but not the intense color like he is.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Vtknitboy said...

ah bluebirds! occasionally see them in vermont.

julie partially said this, but to add, also the larger needle size, along with more lacy near the edging, tends to reduce the ruffledness of the pattern. i did not encounter this in Lyra, as i used size 5 and most people used 00-3 US.

2:17 PM  
Blogger HobbygĂ„sa said...

What a little beauty that bird is! It is so fun to see what kind of birds you have in the US too. And that doily looks beautiful too! Wow, I have knitted socks from a German pattern and I thouhgt that was difficult - but this must be even more difficult. I don't understand German either... Yeah hurray for Ravelry hehe.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Definitely! Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back and figure out what certain people were thinking, instead of attempting to discern it from secondary evidence? :)

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter