Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 April 2009

The End is Near

I've reached the end of Christel's petal section and started on the section of the chart that says "repeat 24 times per round".

The first row of that section is 624 stitches. Whew. I have to pace myself so I don't get sick of Christel entirely. The whole first 624-stitch round is "K3, YO, SKP, YO". A hundred and four times.

How Julie ever got through Helmut I don't know.

(imaginary picture here) I probably should have taken pictures of the ripping-back process here, because I didn't tink stitch by stitch. I don't use lifelines (bad me). Didn't rip back around and around.

Instead I re-insert a needle in the stitches one row above where I want to be, rip out all the rows down to that needle, then tink (un-knit, stitch by stitch, or the word "knit" backwards) just that very last row.

By the time I get around to that very last needle, I have a ring of four rows' worth of thread to wind around the ball and re-knit. But it's fiddly work and I don't like to stop even for pictures while I'm doing it.

So. Let's look at birds.

These two flash guys on my suet are male rose-breasted grosbeaks, Pheucticus ludovicianus.

A lot of my birdwatching these days is really bird listening. I've already scoped them out on binoculars, paged through my bird books, and figured out which bird was what and made which sound.

For some reason, Mr. Pheucticus was an exception. Spring after spring, I'd hear him singing and think, "What the heck bird is that?"

I think I've finally got him down.

Eighteen, going on nineteen years I've lived in the same place and listened to mostly the same birds. Eventually I learn.



One last poem for the end of Poetry Month:

Spring Rain, by Marchette Chute


The storm came up so very quick
It couldn't have been quicker.
I should have brought my hat along,
I should have brought my slicker.

My hair is wet, my feet are wet,
I couldn't be much wetter.
I fell into a river once
But this is even better.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Wow, your Cristel is getting so beautiful! And your ripping - well done! I don't even want to think about it if you had missed a stitch. I never use lifeline either, but sometimes I wonder about myself when will I ever learn lol. Your birds are so beautiful. It looks like you have much more colorful birds in the US than we have here in Norway. We have some with great colores, but not many.

10:24 AM  
Blogger amy said...

That's often how I rip back too, although not in lace. I've only done one proper lace project (not counting socks) and I did use a lifeline. I also think I sweat the entire time. I found it very stressful.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Great poem!

Can't believe you don't use lifelines! But sounds like your system works pretty well too.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, you know, I think I'm just ask glad not to see the ripping in process -- eek! It's looking absolutely beautiful, but I can see how these last rows are going to take some serious patience :)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I think it was insanity. And like any Mom, I'm blaming that on my kid.

Yours is looking good! Can't wait to see it blocked.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is exquisite...I am in serious awe of your Cristel petal. But what a high-wire act. No lifelines? Sheesh. Obviously you have a head for heights and a love of tinking dangerously.

5:08 AM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

Christel looks beautiful! Once upon a time, I had grosbeaks in my back yard. I was sad to move and leave them behind. I followed the link, played their song and woke up the dog!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have not used a lifeline for my current lace project. I keep ripping back to a section that is garter stitch. It's still hard to pick up the stitches in laceweight but I've done it three times now. For some reason, I'm having a hard time with this section. Do you think I'd learn and put in the lifeline? Of course not.

12:27 PM  
Blogger One More Stitch said...

It looks so beautiful as it is now so the finished Cristel will be stunning.

Gorgeous work!

12:17 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a splendid poem! I have gone dancing in the rain, when it was warmer, and it was magnificent! It's still hypothermia weather around here.

Cristel is coming along splendidly! You are SUCH a marvel to rip out four whole rows. With 624 stitches per row, do you think now might be a good time to use a lifeline? Or is it a moral principle thing?

(My word is unhosa. That's when he pulls off your stockings very slowly.)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Cristel looks gorgeous! Glad to read you're not quite at the 600+ stitch round. On the other hand, you already know it's coming.

And that many dpn's? I'd have to go buy some before I could even start.

And my work verification is: sizina. Which tickles my funny bone - I must be up way too late!

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter