Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



24 October 2007

Oh, No.

I don't know if I can do this!

It's amazing how stuff that happened to you as a kid can come back years later to bite you.

In the mittens' case, what happened was that this boy I used to play with when we were both 7 or 8 years old used to wear mittens his grandmother knitted him, long-cuffed, shaped woolly mittens.

And with the unreasoning prejudice of childhood, I thought they were the ugliest mittens on the planet!

Oh, no. These are the exact image of those mittens.

Okay, not 100%, since I don't ever remember him wearing anything but plain-colored blue or black mittens. But still, this exact shape!

I don't know if I can do this.

Anyway, here they are a day's knitting later, insides and outsides, backs and palms. (The "snowflake" side is the back.) I don't know if they really count as Fair Isle -- isn't Fair Isle stranded?

And here is the weird way I handle the two colors, knitting the front color and purling the back one.

Actually this is the way I always hold the yarn -- the tendon of my left index finger is detached (or whatever the medical term is) at the knuckle, and can slide to the side and over towards my thumb.

Curling this finger up like this is the most comfortable way for me to hold it for long periods of time. Which is a long-winded way of saying that while it works great for me, it probably won't work for everyone.

The fall color has been really spotty. Some trees have already dropped their leaves weeks ago, some are still completely green, and the odd few are finally changing color. I snapped this red one yesterday, and this morning it's half bare already.

It will be November (and maybe mitten-wearing weather) before we know it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

They're really amazing looking mittens, but I never knew the boy with the mittens you hated. I like the colors, too.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh that was me, hey. Fair isle, intarsia, double knitting - it's all the same scary-more-than-one-colour knitting to me!! I still think they look fabulous!

Great autumn photo - love how the colours vary!

5:27 PM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

You know maybe your horror kid move to my neighborhood after he terroried you, because I knew a kid he was 2 years older than I was and he had those mittens and in the same colors, anyway he use to take mounds of snow and dump them down our coats (me and my little brother), annoying bastard. But I got the last hoorah, when my older brother found out, he kicked his butt.. after that I never saw those mittens again until of course your knitting, so you'll have to excuse me but I won't be watch this one that closely. hehe.. They look really great and complicated, two colors double knitted (just boggles the mind).

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter