Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 December 2007

Snow Dog . . . Happy

I live in a state where we used to get winter. When I was a kid, we always had snow for Christmas. I think I was in college the first time I ever suffered through a green Christmas.

I am not one of the people who calls a snowstorm "bad" weather. I love snow. Yeah, sure, it's a bear to drive in. I've certainly driven home along the Lake Michigan shore in a storm where snow re-covered my windshield on a half pass of the windshield wipers. (Wipers up, covered, wipers down, covered.)

But I don't care. I love snow. I love winter. This is Michigan: it's supposed to snow here in winter. December just doesn't look right with green grass growing.

For some reason, when I say, "I'm a snow dog: I love winter," people seem to instantly get that. A snow dog can be a dog like a husky or a sled dog, a double-coated dog that looks miserable in a 90 degree temperature and 90 percent humidity August day. Or it can be a dog like Truffles, who just plain flat loves the snow. Or it can be someone like me, who owns scarves and mittens and boots and long underwear and knows how to use 'em.

Weather forecast:

Winter storm warning in effect until 7 pm EST Sunday

Tonight
Brisk. Occasional snow...then heavy snow overnight. Areas of blowing snow overnight. Snow accumulation 4 to 6 inches. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Sunday
Brisk...snow...then a chance of snow late in the day. Areas of blowing snow through the day. Snow accumulation 3 to 5 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 38 mph. Chance of snow 80 percent.


Snow dog . . . happy.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.... maybe I am a misplaced snow dog. I like cooler weather. Snow makes me feel alive. I learned all about snow survival and building snow caves (when I was younger). Although it used to snow here in the winter when I was little, it rarely has for the last 20 yrs. I have been sniffing out a new place to call home.
-punkin

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put up my voodoo snowflakes yesterday, my fault. :D

SC

11:35 AM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

A white christmas - you're so lucky!!

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter