Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



08 January 2008

Postcard from Rainland

Today's postcard is a little late because last night's January thunderstorm stomped across our ISP's wireless broadcast tower. Tower, no power = no shiny new fast internet. Boo.

The postcard probably still wouldn't have been this late except I got tapped to take my husband's car in for an oil change. So I sat and knitted on the Valdani bag (without my camera) for about half an hour.

Afterwards, since I already drove up to town, I figured as long as I was so close, I might as well spend some of the Barnes & Noble card he gave me for Christmas.

Then I browsed around the JoAnn Fabric store, and they had 8.25" toothbrush holders that fit an 8" You sit on me, I'll stab you to death! 5-0 dpn perfectly.

By the time I got home and read a bazillion blogs, it was . . . now.

I see from Amy's post that not every knit blogger is aware of some of the terrific graph paper generators on the internet.

Since I was on the Arachne lace list before I started knitting, I learned about the Incompetech website first. Bobbin lacemakers often use polar graph paper. Ever try to buy polar graph paper lately? Me, neither.

Incompetech has all kinds of fun things: square graph papers, triangle/hexagonal ones, tumbling blocks and diamonds, bricks, packed circles. All for free (or at least the cost of the ink & paper to print them out.) Even penmanship and music notation paper.

The tatao website pretty much just generates knitting graph paper, according to your own row and stitch gauge. But if that's all you need, this is a great website.

Both of these sites generate PDF files that you can save and print out.

Oh! And that reminds me! Remember when I posted links to my PDF files of 3x5 cards (blank ones or vertical blue-line ones) for the hipster PDA, and later said I'd had an email from someone who said they didn't print out full-size?

Doh! I know how to fix that now: When you print them, make sure Page Scaling is set to "None" and that it says "Zoom: 100%" under the Preview.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I just posted the incompetech website you listed to make sure folks saw it, too. FUN!!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Thanks for the links. I keep forgetting about the internet...I am such an idiot sometimes!!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

Oh, man, even when you remember about the internet, it's just so big! I am always benefitting from links other people pass along, so I'm happy to return the favor.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's some serious looking rain!!!

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter