Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



01 January 2008

Warming-Up Exercises

Yep. Looks like the pterodactyl's got me. (Don't you love Fay Wray's pose? Arms flung out, head flung back, toes pointed. Yeah, I do that when the idea pterodactyl grabs me, too.)

Although I have notes of what happens when, depending on which decrease I use and whether it's before or after the increase (and Mary Thomas' knitting pattern book is particularly good on the subject), it seeps into my head better if I have just knitted it.

So these are warming-up exercises, a knitter version of playing scales, before I go completely off my head and start trying to turn a Persian carpet into a lacey stole. *sigh* (US size 3 needles and a cone of grubby old garden string that I'm sure would be tossed in Webs' dumpster. I think I found it in someone's gardening shed.)

For the benefit of my Southern Hemisphere readers, the promised snow pictures. I don't know if they can compete with 100+ degree heat, but we can but try.

It snowed all night with hardly any wind, but by the time it was light enough to take pictures, we were getting a little breeze that was starting to knock the snow off the thin branches.

I recently discovered that the beach webcam down in South Haven, which was shut down last winter, is still (so far) up this winter, if you want to see the snow snowing into Lake Michigan.

Another webcam in South Haven seems to revolve around randomly, sometimes showing the boat slips in the channel, and sometimes showing grainy pictures of the street.

With the temperature steady around freezing, it was still a little cold for a picnic.

Despite accidentally leaving both his mittens and his gloves at school over the holidays, our son has already been outside in a pair of my stretch gloves, clearing off as much of the cars as he could reach and getting down on his knees to make a fort by heaping up snow with his arms. He is looking forward to establishing a sled run with his dad later today.

Lastly, how about a contrast picture between Friday and Tuesday?

Yep. We got a little snow here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I just got that Mary Thomas book for Christmas. :-) It was on my Amazon list. My husband wanted to know if I understood any of it. (He also got me the first Walker treasury; it's good to keep the wish list updated!)

It's raining here now. But I'll take that over the snow.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We are getting the rain too but I would dearly love some snow. They say maybe tonight but it's really not that cold. I think folks who create are amazing. I can follow a pattern but write one? I don't know. Maybe it's a matter of experience, I am still a new knitter and am learning skills all the time.

1:48 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Gorgeous and beautiful and cooollllld! Beautiful warming up - how about you grab the pterosaur and give hime a bit of a swing around too! Happy 2008 - looking forward to watching you knead it into fabulous shape - and seeing what you make of it!
It's been so great to meet you in 2007!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Wow, snow is magic! Love the before and after shots!

Happy New Year!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter