Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 December 2007

Seriously Goofy Weather

The weather here has been so up and down, I don't know where to start.

With yesterday, when it was 46 degrees F (8 C), almost all day?

With the middle of last night, as the temperature rose from 46 at 10 pm to 53 degrees (12 C) at 4 am?

Or with this morning, when the temperature dropped from the 53 degree high to 28 degrees in only 4 hours?

Most of our earlier snow is now running down the drainage ditches in the form of brown water.

But look closely along the edge of the car windshield: snow.

The weather forecast is all jolly for the holidays:

An arctic cold front will move through lower Michigan this morning. Much colder air will pour into the region causing a quick freeze up on area roads and sidewalks. Arctic air streaming in from Wisconsin around a very intense winter storm will result in snow squalls from this afternoon into Monday morning. Most of the accumulating snow will be from mid afternoon into the early morning hours of Monday. Winds will be gusting near 50 mph at times. The combination of the strong winds and snow showers will result in near blizzard conditions with visibilities occasionally near zero.

Monday, that would be Christmas Eve, when we bring gallons of seafood chowder, unbaked homemade apple dumplings, and the oplatki up the highway to celebrate with my husband's extended family.

So let's hear it for the snowplow drivers!

Oh. Yeah.

Friday we got wireless access!!

Now we are so hoping those 50 mile-an-hour wind gusts don't blow the brand new wireless antenna off the roof.

It runs around 380 Mbps, which I'm told is relatively slow for wireless, but it's a heck of a lot faster than a 52 Kbps dial-up connection! I might actually be able to post stash and projects and stuff on Ravelry, imagine that.

Meanwhile, I've been able to look at the lace on the cards exchanged by members of the Arachne lace email list. Those pictures load [snap!] just like that. It's amazing.

I think I'm in the 21st century now, me with my woodstove, floor loom, tatting and netting shuttles, and knitting needles.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

We've got a little extra snow up here if you need it. More than a little, if you want the truth!

Congrats on the technology upgrade. When I first got dsl, I was horrified by how long I'd lived with my sad little dial up connection! The internet rocks!!!!!!!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year -or conversely Happy Solstice so glad you have wireless now - look forward to seeing more of your work!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how did you get a wireless connection in the sticks? You need to tell your oldest brother about this on Christmas day.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter