Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 April 2008

Bra-a-a-a-ains

I think there's a rule or a law or something that says Zombies have to say that.

I have the deep chesty cold voice that makes it sound really funny when I say it: "Bra-a-a-a-ains!" And for some reason, it's been A Cold With An Attitude.

I called the company that made our microwave, trying to get an owner's manual so I would know what the touch pad did, and got a hilarious service tech. He apologized for their computer system, and I apologized for my wonky, high and low squeaky adolescent voice and the sound of the kid alternately coughing and shooting aliens in the background.

Then he tried to find our very old microwave's manual in their system. He was funny. I enjoyed talking to him, and I hope some supervisor didn't listen in and bring out the rack or the comfy chair after he hung up. He told me what the power levels were on the microwave, anyway, and we exchanged amusing ways to pre-slice hotdogs before nuking to make them into amusing shapes so sick kids who aren't hungry would eat.

I've been trying to read blogs and catch up while feeling too stupified to comment.

I've discovered that it's really hard to be in a cold-fog and try to get a kid who is in his own cold-fog to do his schoolwork so he can keep up. We were really healthy all winter and had hardly any colds among us. So now it's spring and this one is wiping the floor with us.

I'm alive, reading Jared Diamond's Collapse, and intermittently collapsing myself into naps.

Back later. Soon. I hope.

7 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I hope you all feel better soon. It's really hard to get out of the winter completely unscathed. Good luck!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Ugh.Sounds nasty. YOu should both just hide under a blanket until it goes away!

12:19 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Try shooting a few of those aliens and visualize them as cold germs. Can't hurt, may help.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That's a nasty cold. And you can cut hot dogs into thin slices and microwave them until they're crispy. Dogs love them. A trainer told us he used them all the time. They're cheap.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I love Jared Diamond, but he's so bloody depressing. Maybe you should shift over to Bill Bryson until you feel better. You know. Laughter is the best medicine (unless you cough up a lung).

Hope you feel better soon.

1:21 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

really hope the cold fairy leaves you alone and spring comes properly for you! Just catching up on blogs after our holiday (BTW when I was a potter, I was the potter who chucked the bowls away - sorry - you try for perfection - I ended up doing an installation with smashed bowls - I smashed them because the glaze wasn't right - I kept a few for animal bowls!) Just didn't feel the love!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

See? And now I know why your world is tilting to the right! I'm sorry to hear you've both been laid low, and I hope that the hot dog shapes encourage appetite in the Smaller One :) I found Collapse to be really interesting reading (although, as with Guns, Germs, and Steel, I felt like I'd gotten it already before the end...) -- are you liking it? Hang in there and feel better soon!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter