Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 March 2008

That was Craziness

On the left, snow at 2pm. On the right, snow at 5pm.

Where is my shiny new red Honda Fit?
Almost made it up the driveway!

And I probably would have made it all the way up if I hadn't had to foof it through the drifts across the bottom of the drive that blew across and closed it back up after I left.

Yesterday I thought, "I should probably put those snow shovels in the shed." But the weather forecasters said snow, so I waited.

This afternoon I realized we had library books and a movie that were due today. I really would rather have stayed at home. But oh, well, I had to find out how the new car drove in the snow eventually.

I thought I'd take the highway, since presumably that would be plowed. Wow. 30 miles per hour, slippery, and lots of other cars, including a few well off the shoulder or stuck in the median.

So on the way home, I took the side road. Not much better, but lots fewer cars.

The dark strip is a very deep drainage ditch. At one point, I did fish-tail in a very scary way, but I managed to steer out of it -- shiny red car was NOT going in the ditch!

So having done my one crazy thing for the day, I plan to stay home, knit, drink cocoa, and watch the snow snowing.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I keep waiting for the balmy days of spring, or at least the less cold days! We are in for the storm you got although we'll probably just get rain. I can't believe the weather this year. It's supposedly due to an extremely powerful La Nina. I think they just use that as an excuse....

6:23 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Yep, that's craziness. Can you renew online? I've done that more than once when weather or sickness has prevented me from leaving the house. Wouldn't have helped with the movie, though. (Here, anyway, we can't renew those.)

Glad you made it home safely!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

You brave driver. After listening to the road reports - which always make it sound worse than it is, even when it's really bad - I was happy to stay home today. Very happy.

By this evening it's getting difficult to walk the dogs. The snow is over the tops of my boots, which means we have over a foot here.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Whew! That definitely counts as your crazy thing for the day -- I'm glad you survived it without making closer acquaintance with that ditch. I'm not going to tell you what the weather was like here today...

11:31 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

that's some scary driving. Maybe I don't want to have a winter in Michigan after all...

5:08 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Where does crazy leave off and semi-suicidal begin? Oh, never mind me. I stay home when there's an inch on the roads. I don't drive well in that freezy skid stuff, and I don't trust all the Californian transplants who think that four-wheel drive on their Hummer means they can stop just as well as on dry pavement. You are a much braver woman than I.

Don't you think this is a sign from the universe that you should stay home and weave?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

I was actually pretty pleased with how the Fit handled in the snow, for a car the size of a ladybug. And I'm going to have to drive it in snow eventually anyhow.

I had several items that couldn't be renewed online (movies and magazines), and the fines are pretty high. Otherwise I would have been checking "Renew All" from my chair.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter