Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



10 March 2008

Long Weekends

Now that my husband is not working Fridays, when our son has the day off from school, we have long weekends.

What I Did This Weekend

  • Took pictures of my Hoya carnosa in bloom.


  • Took a walk with our son to the snowdrifts along the edge of the property.


  • Watched snow accumulate on a rabbit who was too busy mowing the dead grass to notice.


  • Read my library books (The Root of Wild Madder by Brian Murphy, and Twined Knitting by Birgitta Dandanell and Ulla Danielsson.)
  • Can you see that the cover of The Root of Wild Madder is a Persian carpet? It wraps around so if you lay the book on its face you can see the entire thing.

    Twined Knitting naturally led to a lot of test knitting, except I unravelled all my samples.

  • And finally, I knitted a shamrock bookmark for the West Michigan Lace Group's bookmark exchange tonight.
  • The shamrock is based on "Trifolium Design" from Marianne Kinzel's Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting.

    I say "I knitted," but really what I did was graphed, knitted, ripped out, erased, graphed some more, knitted some more, and ripped out some more.

    The thread is green tatting cotton, and the needles are 000 (1.5mm) from Susan Bates. I started in the middle and I'm knitting out towards both ends, where I'll probably decrease to points so there won't be any casting off.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

What's Hoya carnosa?

Don't you just love swatching? I've so far made at least ten attempts at this one fiddly thing I'm trying to get right, and I'm still working on it.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

What a lovely, productive weekend. Those flowers are gorgeous, like nothing I've ever seen!

10:32 PM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

Your hoya is beautiful! I love those furry pink flowers. Mine just opened today, it is white and yellow. Hoya is also called wax plant, my flowers look waxy to me. Not furry at all.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter