Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



14 March 2008

I Meant to Post Yesterday

In fact, I had the posting window open. But we had a little problem with our ISP and our paid-up account was shut down for about 10 hours. Ten hours with no internet!

It must be spring. The temperature slowly crept up to 50 degrees (10 C), and I kept jumping up to go outside and bring in more maple sap.

So far I've got about 5 gallons concentrated down to 1 gallon. I figure roughly 50:1, so I need about 50 pints of sap for a pint of maple syrup. That's 6 gallons and a bit, almost there!

It is pretty cool to get syrup from our own trees. For one thing, you have more control over what you get, just like you do when you knit your own socks. My husband likes the first run of syrup, which is lighter colored and to me has hardly any maple flavor at all. I prefer the later runs, when the syrup gets darker and maple-y-er.

So my plan this year is to boil down the first run into a pint for him, and the later run into a pint or so for myself.

I did get enough people to start a Mary Thomas group on Ravelry, and have started putting some of my older projects up as threads.

That's about the extent of my knitting-related stuff today so far.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I always wondered is tapping the maples hurt the trees. And I didn't know it was a 50:1 ratio. No wonder the good stuff is pricey. I am not a maple fan so a little goes a long way for me.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

That's quite exciting, and quite ambitious. I have laundry calling my name, after which I get to spin for a while. It's nice to be loving spinning again.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Omigod!!! Home grown maple syrup! You can have some on your Cinderella waffles!!!! Or regular waffles. Is it just me that has the princess waffle iron?

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter